Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colin the mighty C-Maxerati has been written off by an impatient muppet rushing for the lights and overtaking the queue of traffic. I turned right out of a junction the inevitable happened :( On the bight side you should see the mess he made of the side of the Zafira.

138,000 almost trouble-free miles with the only non-service parts being an alternator and a power steering hose! It's even still on the original clutch! Not bad (or possibly because) it's just a poverty spec 1.6 n/a petrol. He even had some pointless upgrades like EBC Greenstuff brakes because they were on offer for only a few quid more than the generic pattern parts!

Probably could be repaired, but I'm not entirely sure it's worth it, breakers all quoted £350-£400 for the bits and whilst thanks to the economy I have plenty of time on my hands, I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Is anyone out there still driving round in a Mk1? Or should I just take the £100 and send him to the great used car dealership in the sky? Does anyone need any bits (apart from a front bumper!) ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Before you part this why was it written off. What work needs doing.

I just finished fixing one i got as a non runner, if you aint looking for mega money, and the repairs aint gonna be arm and a leg (under say a grand) you should drop me a DM.

Coupple months back, i picked up a 2.0 TDCI 2005 CMAX, smashed front right corner, totally destroyed DMF, Clutch etc, fixed it on the drive (i admit i got it for the wife, but that 2.0 tdci is a weapon) so a smaller 1.6 for her...... Im liking the sound of this

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had a crawl under it, I think it's more bent than it looks. At first glance it's just cosmetic, but the internal structure of the front bumper is shifted by at least 30mm (you can see that relative to the brace that the headlamps screw onto). And the driver's door panel gaps are out (weirdly they've closed up at the front despite the impact being the other way and that wing is undamaged) and the trim around the windscreen isn't sitting correctly.

If anyone wants anything let me know, I'm in Reading, happy for people to come and take stuff off themselves for a discount* as I'm a big believer that cars should be kept going rather than scrapped! I can provide power, ramps, axle stands, jacks, engine hoist, air compressor etc. Just bring your own tools (happy to lend you mine if you've forgotten something or need something usual but don't rely on me).

something held on by 2 bolts like the alternator or coil pack- you save the postage, take the engine out yourself without covering the drive in oil and coolant £££!

Engine and everything bolted to it is fine. It still drove home fine. Really tempted to store this for a Locost build. Oil changed every 6000miles and it's never burnt a drop or an ounce of coolant so should be an ideal starting point. Serviced just before lockdown, cambelt would have been due in 18 months I think.

New battery was fitted during the lockdown.

Has 2x nearly new tyres and the others at 50% (all goodyear efficient grip), alloy wheels are in good nick with only one kerb scuff.

Set of Steel wheels with Avon winter tyres, <4mm tread left though.

Space saver spare wheel (did get used once).

Alpine double din radio (fascia adapter has gone a little funny) + wiring loom and adpater for steering column remote.

Brakes (who buys 2nd hand brakes?) EBC greenstuff front Brembo OEM spec rear, but they are almost new.

Alternator a couple of years ago.

Air-con has only ever been topped up once and still works.

The rest of the bodywork is good for it's age.

Interior is Ok, but has been sat in with wet clothes to the seats are covered in watermarks. And the boot has been filled with mountainbikes and sailing kit so is a long way off being good.

The front end had new hub bearings and suspension bushes in the last few years.

Witter Towbar + relay kit.

Set of roof bars and feet.

Underneath has some cosmetic rust but subframes etc are all sound.

No MOT advisories apart from the headlamps were fogged up but they've cracked now anyway (if anyone wants a set of Osram Nighbreaker main beams?)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man thats a shame. I agree if the windscreen isnt fitting correctly something vital is bent or twisted, so probably to much work in that aspect, otherwise sounds fairly simple fix up.

Oh well, was worth asking, just a shame. But if you can hold on to it, might be worth having someone out just to evaluate the damage, you never know, it might still go.

Alot of maintenance and parts in the last few years, i know no one wants to throw good money after bad, but its such a shame.

I wish you the best

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yet again I say save it if you can, did you contact Adam the c-max man? He is in Hitchin so if thats in driving distance as you say it still drives fine (as long as its still road legal) arrange to take it to him for further investigation and a quote for new parts, he will even fit them for you. The bumper has a collapsible member behind it so thats why its out of line, the wing to door gap is probably just where the wing moved with the bumper and the plastic trim by the screen is on clips. Do the car a favour, fix it :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
If it were me so long as the chassis leg is not bent and I'm sure its not repair it, I would be thinking
front bumper rear pad bar,(the actual bumper looks ok) headlamp, realign inner wing and screen trim, check tracking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts