Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of getting rid of the Ghia standard 16" rims and have been looking at some of these on 17's

http://www.zcwuk.co.uk/
Either the 'Angel','Grace' or 'Charm' styles.....

Which style would you go for.?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would go for wheels that are painted all over. I had my whole wheel powder coated as they were half paint half alloy that was just clear lackerd.

When the part of the alloy that is left just alloy and lackerd gets chiped the wheels start to look a mess.

The wheels on the picture shown on the link you put up have silver rim and are all painted black once you chip the edge of them the water will get under the lacker and just bubble it they will look a mess then.

I had my alloy wheels 2 weeks and noticed were the nuts went in that there were bubbles in the lacker. I must have scratched them when putting the nuts in while putting the wheels on and in that time the lacker was already bubbling and they were starting to look a mess.

That is the reason I had them stripped and powder caoted.

Oh my wheels are also 17" as I was told you have to add a steering rack limiter and also get you speedo re calabrated if you fit 18" that was to much hassle 17" dont look as nice as 18" but they do for me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael,
To be honest I would onlywant thesilver alloy over the painted ones purely for the reasons you mention above.

I thought the whole idea of having a lower profile gets you away from having to have anything re-calibrated. Well according to this anyway.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

Basically you can go from 195/55/16up to 215/40/18 without any problem on the rolling diameter. These differby about1.29% and the tolerence is +/- 2.5%

I would like 18's but the car handles well on the 16" and if I ever got round to lowering the suspension (even 30mm) I wouldn't want the hassle of the tyres rubbing.

Watch this space....
Edited by: R7BKR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts