Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folks
I've recently become the owner of a 2014 C-Max - and, so far, am very happy with it.
Apart from a rattle from the rear pass. side seat, and a dodgy oil-pressure light, which took 5kms (from cold) to go out - all seems good.

While the mechanic was looking for a way to get at the oil-pressure light, I took a quick look under the car, as it was up on a ramp.

I was surprised to see a fair amount of flaking paint on the pressed chassis-members under the car. The car's from Northern Ireland (where they do a fair bit of winter salting & gritting) but now lives in the Republic (where we don't).

So - I was wondering if it's worthwhile getting the underside of the car cleaned and undersealed as a precaution...?

There's a garage / bodyworks place in the village that offers some kind of underseal - but wondered what the general feeling is about such treatments and whether it's worth doing. I plan on keeping the car for a while...

Thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
406 Posts
yes get it done if only for piece of mind.Can't hurt.I've noticed the difference on modern cars compared to all the 60s-70s American cars and trucks the pressed steel is really thin,so it can only prolong your cmax if done properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that was my thinking.....
I'll catch up with the garage in the village & see how much money they want for the job.
Adrian

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why not DIY, at least you know the box sections etc have been drilled and filled etc.
It is a dirty job....but satisfying,and by far the cheapest £££ if DIY.
Don't know if your a suit man of a get stuck in type? You can buy Waxoil kits with all the relevent tubes/sprays/plugs...best to do it either in good warm weather outside or in a heated garage,but which ever way you, go best of luck ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments.
I've done the Waxoyl job in the past - a long time in the past! <g> - I think it was on a Mini first and then on an MGB Roadster...

I wouldn't consider myself a 'suit' man - and am happy to get stuck into things, within reason. However, even though it's going to cost me more to get the local garage to do the job, I think that they'll be able to do a better job than me, as they have lifts, pressure-washers and experience....

Any money I might save on DIY-ing it would soon be spent on osteopath's bills - and, besides, while the garage are getting down & dirty with the Waxoyl then I can be getting on with what I do best (stained glass & fused glass).
Our hourly rates are roughly comparable....

Thanks for the suggestion though
Adrian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of 'off-road' room to work here - but only a car-port for shelter.
I'll see what sort of money the local place wants..
Thanks
Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts