Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Focus C-max 1.6 petrol. There is what seems to be water sloshing from side to side under the dash most noticeable on fast bends. Does anyone else have this roblem. Anyone had it sorted out? The car is great in otherwise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
HI CMAXGORD and welcome.
I don't know if it is related but I went to fill up my washer reservoir this afternoon and noticed a large amount of water lyiny in the tray just below the air vents under the bonnet, there doesn,t seem to be any drainage from this area. And also could this amount of water near the fresh air inlets help to cause interior misting. Anybody any ideas please.
Tony

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tony

Thanks for replying. I know where you mean about the tray under the air vents. It's completely open to the weather naturally, but there never seems to be any water lodging there on my car. Also I don't have any problem with misting up in the cabin or dampness in the footwell. I've seen two or three mentions of this problem on the web somewhere but I can't find them again and no solution was given anyway. I've had a Ford mechanic ride in the car and he agreed that he could hear water moving but the garage said that it wouldn't be covered under the three year guarantee. He hadn't come across it before.
I park on a slight slope so I've tried parking the other way round. I've even had it up on ramps to increase the slope, all to no avail.
Gordon

·
Registered
250 Posts
This tray does retain water when the car is on the level, and is clearly a design fault. Both ends of the tray, however, allow the water to drain eventually, but I often find leaves and other detritus blocking these [large] drainage points. Easily sorted with a finger. I don't have any water in footwells, nor any problem with misting windows. Indeed, I find the heating and demisting in the Cmax to be very efficient. However, I can't get rid of water on the outside of windows by simply winding down the windows! What bozo thought that was a good idea!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying Romseyraver.
So how do I get to the drain holes to clear them with my fingers? I can imagine that it could well be leaves because there are plenty around my parking place. I don't want to have to pay Ford hourly charges to clear leaves.
Thanks Gordon

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I had the same leaf problem,so hte area I could not reach with my fingers I used a 1ft lenth of chicken wire.It`s strong enough to shift leaves & gentle enough not to damage anything.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bonnet up, look at black plastic tray. Both the extreme left and right ends of the tray are out of sight underneath metal cowling - part of the body of the car, so coloured. Clear all leaves and crap from tray that you can see, and then hook your finger into the gap between tray and cowling at both ends of the tray, and clear everything that you can feel underneath but not see. You will discover and feel with your pinky a hole at either end of the tray to get rid of excess water. I have found that a single leaf can block the holes. It looks like the water drains onto the top of the wheel arches and then out. As I have said, on the level, [extaordinarily!] not all the water will drain, so after rain always expect about 2-3mm of water in the centre of the tray only, not at the ends. The tray will hold a lot of water if the holes are blocked, and the only egress then seems to be through the air intakes, which might then finds its way into the interior of the car. I haven't experimented with this theory however. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep, let us know how you get on. This might explain the problems sited elsewhere about wet footpans, carpets and thereby misting windows. I can quite imagine that, with a tray full of water and parking on a slope pointing uphill any additional rain would run into the air intakes, and maybe just stay there somewhere in the innards. It might explain the strange 'sloshing about', which sounds most perculiar. Best keep that sort of thing for bathtime.
Edited by: romseyraver

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a look at the car again this afternoon. I must be missing something because I can't relate the instructions to what I find on my car. There's the plastic grill with slots in presumably to let air into the heater. The windscreen wiper mechanism sticks up through this. Underneath isthetray which is presumably holding the water. Looks like plastic again to me. I can't find any drain holes or see any way of getting at them if I could find them. The tray seems to be designed to hold water in the middle rear. It slopes to the back and it also slopes fromboth sides in. There is a well at the centre rear where it's fastened to the bulkhead. I hear a sort of gurgling as the water surges to one side as I go round a bend. It then presumably settles back into the centre. If the water is holding in the centre of the tray there is no way that I can see drain holes to the side clearing it.
At the outside edges of the black grill the are flexible rubber bits. I had a poke around under there to no avail. Was I in the right area there for the drain holes?
Please help, it's so irritating!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also checked mine today without much success in finding the drainage holes, got my finger stuck, made the wife laugh!!
Will try again tomorrow.Will perhaps try pouring some water down the tray and se where it emerges from. I used to have the same with an old Jaguar but at least you could see where the drainage tube came out in the wheel arch. Getting frustrated now

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, I can understand your frustration. If it rains the tray will always hold a little water, as there are no drainage holes anywhere on the bottom of the tray. When it's dry this water will evaporate under the bonnet anyway, so don't worry about it. When it rains hard the water level obviously rises and has to go somewhere, and that is out the ends of the tray, unless leaves or whatever get stuck at the ends of the tray. Now, these drainage holes are not at the bottom of the tray, but at the ends, or rather are instead of the ends. So it sounds like Tony got his finger stuck in one of them, as they are only about 20mm under the car body and easily reached.

The point of the post was that someone reported a lot of water 'sloshing about' which is audible inside of the car. This suggested that there was far too much water in the tray and therefore that water was not draining away to the proper place when the level rises in the tray, but pouring over the top of tray and going elsewhere - perhaps down the air vents and into the footwells. If you cannot find any leaves or any other blockage with your finger and you have water in the centre of the tray and right along to the ends then you might or must have have a blockage further down the line. Even when it rains hard I never find more than about 2mm of water in the centre of the tray.. As I have said, I have found leaves stuck right where aforementioned finger has been, so if you haven't found anything then there probably isn't anything to find.

If the whole of the bottom of the tray is wet on level ground [especially if you find a lot of water] and you can't find any obvious cause of blockage then I would also fill the tray up to the brim and see what happens. If it doesn't drain fast then there is a blockage elsewhere and a hose up both ends of the tray would probably be my next step.

All of this nonsense could have been avoided of course had Ford design dept pulled their finger out instead of Tony having to insert his. A simply plastic grill or a definitely sloping tray would have done the trick, but there you go.

I hope this has helped, and please let us know how you get on.

Edited by: romseyraver

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I get this problem too.Soon as I move off the drive & turn left or right,water runs out.When I eash the car the water always hold a general meeting there,but I brush it to either side & it drains away,usually onto my foot if I`m standing by the front of either front wheel arch.Wife has hysterics every time untill I throw wet leather at her.I`m a good shot now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm still no wiser because I can never see any water anywhere, but I can certainly hear it on the move. I can't understand how it is possible to sweep the water to one side when can't get at it. My forefingers are now covered in little cuts from poking around under the rubber bits at the outside edge of the plastic grill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm wondering now if some cars don't have the plastic grill and so you can access the tray under the wiper mechanism.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just had a really good look with a small torch down through the ends of the grill under the wipers where the flexible rubber covers are. It's possible to spread them open more than I realised. It looks absolutely clean. No leaves or muck. Think I can see the drain hole on the near side. Looks to be clear. Can't see any water anywhere. Don't know what's going on!! Perhaps I'll just have to pretendthat the noise isnot there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have been out in the car twice since emptying the water from the front tray, and no misting of windows, perhaps because the weather has been dry and reasonably warm, will see what happens during the forecast cold and snow. will keep you posted

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll have a look at mine tonight and see what I can see. Especially after all this damn snow..

I'm not getting any sloshing water sound either so if it down to leave mine might not be blocked.
(The car is parked in an underground car park all day, and there aren't many trees where I life either)

I'll let you know how I get on and if I can I'll take some photos as well. (although they might have to wait till the weekend.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Mines covered over now till the snow goes,using RangeRover instead.Now when the kids say "Can`t get to skool cos it`s snowing" I can say "Get in the RR,I`ll take you".

·
Registered
250 Posts
8 inches of snow here over weekend, but it's gone now. However, the aforementioned [many times] tray was of course full of water, about 4cms deep in the middle of the tray with its level just under the middle air intake grill. Went down the road to fill up and the tray was completely dry on arrival at Sainsbury's. The water had clearly moved to the sides of the car and drained out of the ends of the tray as it is supposed to do.

I am worried about Cmaxgord's fingers. Ouch! I feel sure that the configuation under the bonnet would be the same for all Cmaxes, so I can only think that at some point water has managed to overflow into one of the air intake grills [presumably the middle one] and down into the interior of the car. Presumably this will evaporate over time.

What puzzles me is that some above seem not to be able to locate where the water is supposed to go, or indeed what or where the 'tray' is. What I mean by 'tray' is simply where the water rests after water is poured onto the windsreen. It forms part of the black plastic cowling that covers the windscreen wipers and the three air intake grills. The front edge of this tray has a large rubber seal along its length upon which the bonnet rests when it is closed. The water sits in the 'tray' just behind this seal.

It must be possible to remove the black plastic cowling to get a look underneath it to see if there is any water sloshing about there. All I know, for sure, is that leaves, etc., get into the tray and that they can block up the ends of the tray so that water cannot get out. The water level in the tray then rises and could potentially flow into the air intakes and then into the interior of the car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts