Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love chatting with all the owners in Europe, but I was wondering if any American Owners have signed on? Or am I the only owner in the US who has joined? It appears there is a big difference between the new US hybrid C-Max and the one you all are driving in the U.K? First of all I guess the hybrid hasn't yet hit the streets in Europe? Since it seems you are driving diesel powered versions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes. If you want real life fuel economy it has to be diesel. Not only that, but the diesel is a much more pleasant car to drive. Being more torquey and the better performer size for size, as well as having lower emissions and therefore a lower tax band.
The only first hand experience I have of a hybrid is when a work colleague was lent a Prius as a courtesy car when he put his (used) Diesel VW Passat back to the Toyota dealer he bought it from for some remedial warranty work. On the way to the garage, the trip computer on his Passat was reading an average of 56 mpg. On the way back, with the Prius, he didn't manage to get it above 35 with the same kind of driving. I had a drive of the Prius, and thought it wasn't a patch on his TDi 130 Passat.
Another big difference is the fact that a big percentage of us drive vehicles with a manual gearbox. It is generally reckoned that an auto 'box will lead to an approximate 10% drop in economy and with fuel at £1.50 a LITRE at my local station, I want to squeeze every inch I can out of a tankfull!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. If you want real life fuel economy it has to be diesel. Not only that, but the diesel is a much more pleasant car to drive. Being more torquey and the better performer size for size, as well as having lower emissions and therefore a lower tax band.
The only first hand experience I have of a hybrid is when a work colleague was lent a Prius as a courtesy car when he put his (used) Diesel VW Passat back to the Toyota dealer he bought it from for some remedial warranty work. On the way to the garage, the trip computer on his Passat was reading an average of 56 mpg. On the way back, with the Prius, he didn't manage to get it above 35 with the same kind of driving. I had a drive of the Prius, and thought it wasn't a patch on his TDi 130 Passat.
Another big difference is the fact that a big percentage of us drive vehicles with a manual gearbox. It is generally reckoned that an auto 'box will lead to an approximate 10% drop in economy and with fuel at £1.50 a LITRE at my local station, I want to squeeze every inch I can out of a tankfull!
Well very interesting thoughts and comparisons regarding diesel vs. hybrid. Diesel in the US are polluters which create more smell and black smoke than mpg in my opinion. We are hearing that we can expect regular unleaded to exceed $5 per gallon before the holidays, which is why I'm glad I have a hybrid which is putting out 37.5mpg in the city. I expect that number will increase as I continue to learn how to drive more efficiently.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well very interesting thoughts and comparisons regarding diesel vs. hybrid. Diesel in the US are polluters which create more smell and black smoke than mpg in my opinion. We are hearing that we can expect regular unleaded to exceed $5 per gallon before the holidays, which is why I'm glad I have a hybrid which is putting out 37.5mpg in the city. I expect that number will increase as I continue to learn how to drive more efficiently.
You're not using Euro Spec diesels though, and I'm informed the low-sulphur stuff that is an EU requirement is only just finding it's way in to fuel stations over there.

Compared to a Petrol of the same age our stuff produces less CO2, NOx, and is actually cleaner for the most part.

·
Registered
849 Posts
My cousin's car, a current model Audi A4 2.0 TDi, has so little coming out the exhaust that you can wipe your finger round the inside and it will come out spotless! All Euro 5 spec diesels will be as good. It is a car of similar weight/power/ performance to my Cmax yet the emissions are much lower than my Euro 4 spec engine, Quoted at 120 g/Km CO2 as against mine at 148 g/Km. (grammes per kilometre). He regularly returns over 50mpg in general driving and he's not particularly light footed either!
It used to be said that Diesels were "Noisy, smelly and slow". That is no longer the case, with many car ranges in Europe having the Diesel as King of the performance table. Compare the 2.0 Petrol and Diesel on Parkers website, Ford Focus C-MAX (03-10) Performance - Facts and Figures | Parkers and Ford Focus C-MAX (03-10) Running Costs - Facts and Figures | Parkers and you will see the Diesel is not only the quickest to 60, but, at 50mpg, easily achievable in real world driving, is 12mpg ahead of the petrol car, with the automatic versions being 13mpg different. No brainer as far as I'm concerned, especially as the road tax on the petrol model is £80 a year more than the Diesel!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
and there is Euro VI just round the corner as well though when this gets to where it can be just about no cleaner I'm not certain

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love chatting with all the owners in Europe, but I was wondering if any American Owners have signed on? Or am I the only owner in the US who has joined? It appears there is a big difference between the new US hybrid C-Max and the one you all are driving in the U.K? First of all I guess the hybrid hasn't yet hit the streets in Europe? Since it seems you are driving diesel powered versions.
Hi-
I'm here on the East Coast and have a two-week old SE on the second tank of fuel.
I posted a thread about Fog lights, HIDs which you may have read.
I'm happy to chat about stuff in a private message fashion, unless there are relevant issues to the general public.

Do you think someday there will be owners hacking the vehicle software, etc. as owners do on Priuschat?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Hi-
I'm here on the East Coast and have a two-week old SE on the second tank of fuel.
I posted a thread about Fog lights, HIDs which you may have read.
I'm happy to chat about stuff in a private message fashion, unless there are relevant issues to the general public.

Do you think someday there will be owners hacking the vehicle software, etc. as owners do on Priuschat?
There has been some sort of similar post about doing something with earlier Mk software but I seem to remember problems with getting past the "Fraud" security codes

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Laredo, Texas. I bought a C-Max Hybrid a couple of weeks ago. I am up to 760 miles driven so far. My only major complaint is that the advertised 47 mpg is a myth -- at least on the highway. No matter what speed I drive -- using the cruise control -- I haven't been able to exceed 38.5 mpg. The in-city is close, sometimes even exceeding, the 47 mpg. After several calls to my dealer and to Ford corporate, they requested that I break in the car to 3000 miles. Once I have done that, I plan on aggressively pursuing the issue.

On the positive side, I absolutely LOVE driving the car. It is peppy. It replaced a 1999 Tahoe, which cost over $80 to fill the tank -- a twice a month exercise. I fully expect to save well over $100/month on gasoline -- that will go a long way to making the monthly payments more tolerable. My Tahoe had a range of 400 miles on a tank (30 gallons) and my C-Max has a range of over 500 miles with only 14 gallons. I am grinning ear-to-ear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of myths in my hybrid

I live in Laredo, Texas. I bought a C-Max Hybrid a couple of weeks ago. I am up to 760 miles driven so far. My only major complaint is that the advertised 47 mpg is a myth -- at least on the highway. No matter what speed I drive -- using the cruise control -- I haven't been able to exceed 38.5 mpg. The in-city is close, sometimes even exceeding, the 47 mpg. After several calls to my dealer and to Ford corporate, they requested that I break in the car to 3000 miles. Once I have done that, I plan on aggressively pursuing the issue.

On the positive side, I absolutely LOVE driving the car. It is peppy. It replaced a 1999 Tahoe, which cost over $80 to fill the tank -- a twice a month exercise. I fully expect to save well over $100/month on gasoline -- that will go a long way to making the monthly payments more tolerable. My Tahoe had a range of 400 miles on a tank (30 gallons) and my C-Max has a range of over 500 miles with only 14 gallons. I am grinning ear-to-ear.
I have 2200 miles on my SEL C-Max hybrid. So far it's been in garage 2 times when computer took over and shut down gas pedal use. Car accelerates by itself to 35mph requiring riding brake all the time. Ford says they are working on problem. Left car at dealer and said fix it or keep it. Getting 35- 38 mpg at best with intermittent spikes to 50. But no 47 average, not even close. Have a MKZ hybrid that gets 39 to 42 mpg on highway. Like it, but hype on C-Max hasn't matched reality yet. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have 2,000 on my C-Max. Been in the garage twice. Local worked with Ford Engineers to hopefully solve problem. Averaged mid 30's mpg. Computer shut off gas pedal use and would self accelerate to35 mph. They lengthened transmission linkage. Uses more battery time now with hopes of those better mpg's. only driven once in town and getting 60+ now. It will be interesting to see what happens. Agree it's fun to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have 2200 on c-max hybrid. In dealership for third time. PC shuts off accelerator and will increase speed to 35mph on its own. Dash warning says "Wrench" and book says drive it to nearest dealer. Fortunately most states including mine have a lemon law that this auto is fitting into. The 47 mpg claim is only wishful thinking on this vehicle. 36.5 is the average achieved. My c-max was not ready for prime time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on C-Max SEL. Dealer can't fix it. Ford can't fix it. Ford wants to have me take it back and wait until they rewrite commands to alter computer program. Estimated waiting until 1st quarter of 2013. Dealer sprung for rental car. 2013 CHEVY Malibu. Starting procedure for Lemon Law fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello out there! I'm a new USA (Little Rock, AR) C-Max SEL Hybrid owner! I've filled up the tank only 2 times since I got my car on 11-1-12. After I get back from traveling over the holidays, I hope to have a better idea of the highway mpg I can get. I love driving my C-Max. It has a few quirks - on occassion, when I put the car in reverse, it doesn't engage for about 5 seconds, and sometimes when I use the open hatchback feature on the key fob, the hatchback releases, but it doesn't raise. Looks like a visit to the dealer is in order. Look forward to hearing from other USA owners. Happy Holidays to y'all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Driving experiences

I am up to 2000 miles in my C-MAX. I have taken it on a couple of road trips as well as in-city driving. It is a fun car to drive. It has plenty of pep and can accelerate quickly for freeway passing.

Mechanically, I only had one problem -- the hatchback wouldn't latch when automatically lowering. The fix was a simple readjustment of the latch and I haven't any further problems.

As I mentioned earlier, the mileage is well below the advertised 47 mpg. That is my only complaint. I have read where a class-action law suit has been filed against Ford regarding the mileage claims. Needless to say, I will be following the progress of that law suit.

Happy New Year to all and safe driving!
Andrew Thall
Laredo, TX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Diesel vs Gasoline and MPG

Feb. 8, 2014: I just traded in a 2010 Honda Civic for a new C-Max SE. Before the Civic I had an Audi 4 turbo-diesel in Germany which I drove for seven years. The Audi's MPG averaged in the low 40s and its turbo produced great acceleration. Over the three years with the Civic, it averaged 28.13 MPG (as low as 20 in the city and as high as 40 on the highway once. Chicago has lots of traffic and stoplights!)

Diesel is much more common in Europe, but people in the US have such bad memories because of the diesels here in the 70s. The newer diesel engines are much, much quieter and cleaner, albeit a bit more expensive. I think we're about to see many more of them Stateside, and the turbo seems to be catching on too.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep my C-Max's MPG in the mid-40s....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts