Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again!
Just done a round trip of 300 miles in my 2004 C Max 1.8.Checked the tyre pressures before setting off-a bit low.I increased the pressures to 2lb psi below the handbook recommendation.Result was awful-crashing and banging on anything except perfect surfaces, the front wheels following every imperfection in the road and ++noisy. I have Goodyear Eagles, about half worn on the front. I am tempted to run the tyres at a lower pressure still but appreciate it would increase consumption and wear.
Are there any tyres that would suit the car better and provide a more comfortable and quieter ride, or should I invest in ear plugs and a soft cushion???

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I`ve got Avons on the front & they are very good.Will need somenew tyresfor MOT in Jan & will definately get Avons again

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I;ve got NCT 5's on our 1.6TDCI and tend to run them at around 36psi all round. In facr I've had the NCT 5 on the last 3 cars as they seemed to give good tyre life and never gave me any great concerns about directional stability or understeer and don't seem exceptionally noisy on all the roads we use

It's not just that the current car is the diesel the first was a 2L SRI cavalier that seemed to enjoy getting us to licence losing speeds on the motorway far too easily

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Everyone

I own a 04 2.0 petrol Ultima, it's currently wearing Continental SportContact tyres. I find them very comfortable and very quiet. They are quite big, 205/55 R17s, well big for what Im used to!!They've been on the car since new, they run on pressures of 32psi front and 34psi rear, this is what is recommened in owners manual. I will probably buy them again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We run Goodyear Eagles and have just increased tyre pressures due to towing our caravan.  Still running car 05 2.0 Tdi with new pressure and noticed less grip when first taking away and also notice steering more sensitive - notice the tiniest imperfections in road surface.  Up side is that we now have better mpg by 4-5 miles, but I don't feel so safe with new pressures!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Have you checked just how much nose weight you have with the caravan
Anything significantly too much (should only be about 50Kg) will not only probably overload the rear axle but also tens to make the front end lighter which could also give the symtons you mention

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive got conti sports same size as willow and agree with him aswell. they are great tyres /quiet and keep good pressure will buy some more..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry Richard.  Bad English on my part but I mean't that I  am still using the car minus caravan, with the pressures used when towing. I think that's 35 front and 40 back and have noticed imperfections in road and less grip when taking off from standing still but I like extra mpg.  Deciding wether or not to reduce tyre pressures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts