Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 c max titanium and yesterday the tyre pressure warning alert came up.I checked all the tyres and they were all ok.How do I reset the warning alert as it is still going off when I start the car.?

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
To be honest, if you have a 2013 vehicle with warning lights on you should go see the dealer!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a 2013 c max titanium and yesterday the tyre pressure warning alert came up.I checked all the tyres and they were all ok.How do I reset the warning alert as it is still going off when I start the car.?
From the online manual:

1. Using the information display control,
navigate to Settings > Driver assist
> Deflation detection
2. Press and hold the OK button until
confirmation appears.

The system has to be reset each time you put air in or out of a tyre(s). If you don't it will come up with the warning after a few miles. The warning will also come on every time you turn on the ignition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this problem, found to bea screw in the tyre, so double check your tyres

·
Registered
406 Posts
Thanks for reply,s I have reset it now using the menu and all ok.
I've had mine go off twice now. The first was an actual puncture, the pressure had dropped to 24 PSI when it alerted me so it gives you plenty of warning before the pressure gets dangerously low. I had to have a new tyre fitted and a few miles later it went off again. I checked the pressures and they were fine so reset the system and everything was fine.

The second time was coming back from Southampton. Before leaving home I checked my pressures and the FNS tyre had dropped 1 PSI so I topped it up. I never thought about resetting the sensors. So on the return journey I get on the M3 and the pressure warning system went off. Luckily there was a service station a mile away so I checked them and they were fine. I then remembered about putting the bit of air in 220 miles earlier, reset it and had no more warnings.

That's why I mentioned resetting them in my previous post, even after putting a small bit of air in. Having the alert on the motorway is a bit of a pain!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just found this thread when I was searching for opinions on tyre pressures.

I've just fitted one of those TyrePal pressure monitoring systems to keep an eye on tyre pressures.

I've pumped up my tyres by several pounds in the past without the on board system alerting or needing resetting. Reading the manual, the on board stuff works off the ABS system, as a tyre deflates its rolling radius changes, and this gets detected by the ABS / traction control system. I'd have thought it unlikely that adding a few pounds of air to an already reasonably inflated tyre would cause the system to register a change.

To be honest, I'd assumed that the deflation system was an optional extra until I read up about it.

Still debating what pressures to run with. 36psi in the front seems OK, but big variations at the back, 33 psi normally, 42psi fully loaded. I've compromised on 36 psi all round, just wondering about putting more in the back when I hitch the caravan up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
As others have said the tyre pressure warning system runs off the abs sensors but seems surprisingly sensitive.

I had mine go off a few times a few months ago. Turned out there was a nail in the tyre. Can be a pain to reset as it has to be done when the car is not moving.

I run mine on full 36 at front 40 at rear all the time. Helps fuel economy no end and does not seem to give uneven wear on the tyres. I also tow a caravan with mine and can't be bothered to lower the pressures when not towing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup they work surprisingly well, spotting nail in tyre... Annoyingly was only about a month after purchase, and unrepairable. Sensor reset when new tyre on, but then went off again within a few miles but nothing since.
I only wish the sensor told you which tyre!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tyre deflation monitoring work of the ABS rolling radius blah blah blah as said earlier. Tyre pressure monitoring is a different system that works from sensor in the wheels and will indicate which tyre is low on pressure. Only seen the pressure monitoring on an CD car (mondeo/smax/galaxy)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a rear tyre blow out on the weekend - the TPMS didn't warn me until after the RAC had been and put one their temporary spares on, and even then only after I'd driven approx 5 miles on the spare!

Pile of **** that system!

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi, I have 2011 c-max 2.0tdci auto. Decided yesterday to inflate tyres to 36 p.s.i to see if it made any difference. To my surprise found that the brakes would not release until I had reset pressure display! all now ok-just thought I would mention this.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Confused

I've just been looking at my manual which says

"Changing Tires With a Tire
Pressure Monitoring System

Note: Each road wheel and tire is equipped
with a tire pressure sensor located inside
the wheel and tire assembly cavity. The
pressure sensor attaches to the valve stem.
The tire covers the pressure sensor and it is
not visible unless you remove the tire. Take
care when changing the tire to avoid
damaging the sensor."

There is a picture showing a pressure sensor attached to a valve on a wheel.

I'm a newbie here, so please be kind. Comments anybody?:confused:

·
Registered
406 Posts
The C-Max originally used the ABS sensors to detect a tyre deflating, a system called DDS. Ford changed to the TPMS with the monitored valves at some point in 2014.

With yours being a 2013 car I'd imagine you had DDS but you can check using the ETIS website FordEtis home page.

Click on vehicle and enter your reg number and you'll see a list of your cars spec. Amongst it you'll see something like "Tyre Pressure Monitor Sys-DDS" or "Tyre Pressure Sensors - 433 MHZ"

·
Registered
242 Posts
The C-Max originally used the ABS sensors to detect a tyre deflating, a system called DDS. Ford changed to the TPMS with the monitored valves at some point in 2014.

With yours being a 2013 car I'd imagine you had DDS but you can check using the ETIS website FordEtis home page.

Click on vehicle and enter your reg number and you'll see a list of your cars spec. Amongst it you'll see something like "Tyre Pressure Monitor Sys-DDS" or "Tyre Pressure Sensors - 433 MHZ"
Thanks, JR. I'll have a look and report back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts