Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've test driven a four year old 05 plate 1.6TDCi Ghia which only arrived at the dealer today and was marked 'awaiting prep'. Trouble was, it didn't rev over 3100 during the test drive, which rather impaired the performance somewhat....

I was told this is a common problem on 54 to 55 plate cars caused by a blocked turbo pipe, which if I buy the car will be easily solved at service by replacing the pipe. These cars were fitted with narrower pipes, and fitting wider ones to prevent itwas a Ford recomendation (if not a proper recall?).

I need to give an answer on whether I want the car ASAP (partly because I want it by Friday!), so if anyone knows anything about whether this is true, I'd appreciate a prompt response.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The early cars had a problem with the turbo pipe cracking and the solution was to fit a newer pipe (that was smaller). The pipe cracked along the engine mounting.

Cost for the new pipe is ~£80 and takes about half and hour to fit.

I've never heard of a blocked turbo pipe. This problem was due to a design fault apparently....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gepard - this was really helpful.

Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will be the proud owner (or at least co-owner, with my wife) of a C-max Ghia.

Don't worry though - I have a 12m warranty, so you needn't feel any sense of responsibility!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Do be careful to read ALL the exclusion terms in any warranty. A lot of them will only cover any part of the engine if you have had a dealer do the service which can negate the savings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Picked up the 'new' car last night (see new signature below!). It now seems perfect (touch wood...) but it wasn't a turbo pipe problem after all, it was the accelerator cable...
The modification to the turbo had already been done, they told me.

We are going up to Scotland today (to Lancashire)and Saturday, so ifanyone is on the A14, M6, M74 etc. dolook out for a fully laden car being driven by a chap who can't stop smiling!

Incidentally, while I've had the car less than 14 hours, so its early days, I have been impresssed by the service at LS Eaves of Stoke-by-Nayland (near Colchester, in Essex),the authorisedFord Service station.

I'll feed back more when we get back from the Trossachs, Isle of Mull, and meeting friends in Dundee.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As it is a diesel there isn't an accelerator cable
It is the equivalent of a "fly by wire" electronic system
The accelerator pedal has a variable resistor attached to it that gives a different voltage to the ECU depending on the position of the pedal. The ECU then compares this with the value for that particular load & Speed and adjusts the fuel pump output accordingley

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think the turbo pipe you talk of is the metal pipe that conects to the intercooler, and if this is cracked the car will smoke like billy - o, acording to honest john

·
Registered
73 Posts
If there is a crack and air enters it alters the mix, and this will result in all sorts of fun, mianly a lot of smoke under boost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
have just bought an 05 ford focus 1.6tdi lx after taking it to the mechanics today i've been told that there is a crack in the turbo tube, i'm now wondering if its worth keeping the car and having the pipe changed under warranty or return the car full stop? i'm not very up on these things so would appreciate peoples opinions on the matter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts