Ford C-Max Forum banner

Tuning-Diesels - Anyone?

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  MetalMicky08 
#1 ·
Just finished this months Car Mechanic magazine and they mention Tuning-diesels.com

Now, I'm interested to see if anyone as one fitted orknow of anyone that has one fitted?

It has had some great reviews in the magazine and having looked at the website (http://tuning-diesels.com/Synergy1/tu3all.htm) I might go for it as it is priced at £159.
So, what do you reckon?

#3 ·
Not as of yet but was on the to do list!
I have read the magazine (and very good it is!!) and they did try it on there own Golf.They do seem to praiseit quite well.
As you say the price does seem very good but compared to MM's version, who knows. Bit more digging and perhaps a email to the company as I note they only list Cmax for the 1.6.

#4 ·
I`d be interested in your findings.As Richard says it does seem a little too good for the price,especially when nearly all the other tuning sets are around £450.
It seems to have similar settings to my Tunit but it does not come with a guarentee on your engine.
Keep me posted
MM

#5 ·
Did a bit more digging and so far it would seem that the one person declared it to Direct Line who imposed an extra £200 excess

Also while reading, it seems that the boxes use a "generic" form of mapping for each make rather than, I presume, individual cases as per yours, MM.
I would point out that as it is my first night shift for this week, the brain & body is suffering power problems so once a good days sleep has kicked in I might be able to understand it a bit better

#7 ·
just been reading this old subject, and the synergy tuning boxes at tuning-diesels are very highly praised amoungst the rover 75/mgzt drivers. I used to own a mgzt diesel and was on the rover forum regulary, and nearly every diesel driver on there had one of the synergy tuning boxes.They were originally designed for the bmw engine found in the 75 by a chap called ron, his user name is roverron on the rover forum, and he has developed the boxes himself, so that is why they are so much cheaper, if anyone has fitted on to a cmax though it would be interesting to find out what you think to it as i will hopefuly be getting one soon for my 2.0 tdci

#9 ·
the tunit boxes are £450 ish, but the synergy is £160 deliverd, and it you change your car, you can send the box back and he will fit a new lead, and update teh software so it can be fitted to your new car for £10. The box is adjustable, it has setting 1-10, on it, i have heard good reports of the tunit boxes, but are they £300 worth better?

#10 ·
Depends if you want to go with a known company with 3 yr warrenty or a company not too many people have heard of.
I`m really pleased with my Tunit & it`s saving me money on fuel too ( always a plus ).
Also I can take it out & refit it myself at no cost.
MM

#15 ·
Around town it`s between 3-5mpg better.On a run it`s really made a difference,In August I did 2 runs to Devon & back within 12 days (about 180 each way ).
1st run down I got 58 doing 85mph & an average of 54 whilst there.On the way back doing 80 I got 60mpg.
2nd trip,3 up with loads of kit doing 80 still got 60 and again 54 whilst there.On the run back,still 3 up but with car stuffed full of kit (& I mean stuffed ) doing 70mph I got 70mpg & that included being stopped in a jam for 15 mins with engine & a/c running.
I must admit on 2 or 3 occasions I did take it to 85 + to get past some slow stuff & to get a clear road in front again.
I did all the calculation to verify the mpg as I could`nt believe it,but,it was correct
Before I went I had some probs with the engine cooling fan electrics & the sparkie who fixed it used to fit Tunits for a living,before deciding he could make more money fixing problems (he enjoys the challenge of fault finding) & he rekons they were/are the best on the market.
I have recommended Tunits to my brother ( LR Defender ),neighbour Golf GTD,one of my sailing crew (Megan estate),sister-in-law (passat TDI 4x4) and all have fitted Tunits & they all do higher than average mile & all have found an improvement in mpg,up to 15 - 20 in the case of the Megan.
I only wish they did one for petrol engines too as my RangeRover Classic 4.0 V8 will do 18 mpg at best on a run & round town I have my own tanker following me ( I wish ).
MM

#19 ·
I think they are well worth the extra cost over other makes,especially after my sparkie said he rates them very highly ( & he`s a real fussy bugger too ).
I`ve certainlyhad no regrets whatsoever in buying mine & if my next car is not a C-Max & I can`t swap the unit over,I`ll buy another & sell this one to anyone on the site who wants it.
No fighting please it will be some time yet .
MM

#20 ·
Any idea what it does to the warrenty as I've ordered my 2.0L TDCi Titanium today & I'm interested in getting one as going from a 250bhp mk.2 Mondeo to the dieselis going to bea tad tricky

#22 ·
I take mine out before it goes to each service.It takes 2mins to take out & once you have put one in,it takes 2 mins to put it back too.
Dead easy
As for warranty,I don`t think any fraud dealer would take too kindly to us doing something to their precious cars that will make them quicker & more economical
MM

#24 ·
Quite a difference.If I put it on 9 (highest) I can get over 200bhp & 300lbs torque.I rarely do this as I don`t have traction control & i don`t want to shred my tyres.
I normally set it on 5 & this give about 150bhp & 360ish lbs torque.i find this is the best setting as throttle response is instant along with turbo coming on boost about 250rpm sooner than a standard 2.0TDCI.Fuel consumption is also up as I dont have to change gear so often & I get 43+ round town & 55+ on the M/way,though I have had 70mpg on a run back from Devon in August,along with other runs of 63 & 68mpg too.
MM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.