Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone tow a caravan with the lower powered 1.6 petrol. Do you tow up to max permissible weight and how does it go? What caravan do you have?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello , I tow an eldis typhoon but i have a 2.0 tdci its 1232kg fully loaded so nowhere near the full permissable weight of the car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
lazyb said:
Hello , I tow an eldis typhoon but i have a 2.0 tdci its 1232kg fully loaded so nowhere near the full permissable weight of the car.
The max braked towing weight of the 2.0 diesel is 1500kgs, so you're not that far away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I tow with a 1.8 petrol at close to the max limt of 1200 kg. Overall it pulls well, in fact due to its lower gearing it seems better than my previous 2.0 lit mondeo. Averages 24 mpg towing. at 55-60 mph.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but doesn't the caravan club suggest that the safest weight for towing is for the 'Van to be no more than 85% of the towing weight.

So if the towing weight is 1500kg then the safest weight is a 'van weighing no more than 1275kg.

I only know this because my dad is a fellow caravaner and thats what he told me
. Then again he does tow with a Nissan X-Trail...... Heeheee

Also I heard the best vehicles are diesels because they have a higher torque level.

Sorry if I'm talking complete rubbish.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Both the caravan club and camping and caravan club offer the advice of only tow at 85% kerbweight of the tow car. However cars are rated diferently ie. 2.0 tdci 1500kgs max tow. This car has a kerbweight of approx 1536 to 1576 kg depending on options. In reality you can tow up to this weight as long as the max train weight is not broken. This includes legal limits for your axles. Sorry for the longwinded post but 85% is only a guide. I personally think that lessons should be given on loading the van as this has massive effects on the handling characteristics. This car differs from my last 2 by needing a lot of nose weight at least 60kgs otherwise it needs care when driving and top speed of 50. Load it correctly and 60mph in crosswinds is no problem. Hope this helps somebody if your still confused i apologise and if you pm me with a phone number i will try to explain better over the phone.
ps Roy spot on with the torque and 85% if your starting is right mate
Edited by: lazyb

·
Registered
280 Posts
Cheers guys,

I do think the clubs are cautious about weights extra, and I know a lot of the towing comes down to common sense and just being sensible, especially as you can can pass your test one day and the same afternoon hitch up a van and trundle off on your merry way.

Now that is a really scary thought...

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The rules about towing after passing your first car licence have changed in recent years. The initial test only allows for a trailer of upto 750 KG and not Max authorised Mass

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have also towed an Elddis Typhoon that had a max weight loaded of 1200KG with our 1.6TDCI with out any problems. The 1.6TDCIis rated at 1300KG max towing weight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trim Wizard said:
We have also towed an Elddis Typhoon that had a max weight loaded of 1200KG with our 1.6TDCI with out any problems. The 1.6TDCIis rated at 1300KG max towing weight.
We have recently bought an Elddis XL Jetstream caravan that has a Max weight of1200KG and our 1.6TDCI towedthis with out any problems.

MPG dropped from 50MPG to 34MPG, still pretty good

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I think can I take it that the answer to my original question is "No", nobody on the forum is currently towing a caravan withthe lower powered 1.6 petrol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your car is rated at 1200KG max braked towing weight, so it should tow this OK. I have done a fair bit of research over the last few weeks as I wanted to make sure that our 1.6TDCI would be OK towing our 1200 KG caravan. From what I understand our car is rated at 1300KG and that means that Ford say it will tow 1300KG from standstill up a 1 in 8 slope providing car has enough grip.

We have so far pulled our 1200KG up several big hills with out any problems.

As mentioned before, the Caravan club (and others) strongly advise that the towed trailer weighs no more than 85% of the towing vehicle.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
UPDATE on 1.6TDCI towing a caravan.

We have towed our caravan 5 times with our car and when the outfit is moving all is good and 1.6TDCI can cope with the steapest of hills, no probs.

However, when you have to move off from standstill up a steep hill you can get the dreaded hot clutch smell. I thought, never mind, if clutch goes we will just get a new one. But I found out that they cost near on £700 inc vat from a non Ford dealer as you tend to need to change the dual mass fly wheel as well

So as we are enjoying the caravan we decided to part company with our C-Max. As I work for all the local VW dealers it made sense to buy a VW. So we now have a Passat estate 130 TDI Highline on a 54 plate. This is rated at 1600KG towing and I have been advised by many that it will tow the 1200KG caravan with ease and due to bigger engine the clutch does not need to be slipped to get moving on steep hills :)

The Passat is very very nice car, but we will still miss the C-Max for it's ability to do a lot of things very well. It has been a super car, a fact that is shown by being the longest car we have owned at 4 years.
Edited by: Trim Wizard

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2004 year 1.6 petrol version with the 99bhp engine. It has covered 87000 miles. I tow a Compass Venture 302 2011 model which fully laden is up to 950 kg. According to caravan club the bhp per ton when towing is 39.They say it might be a bit sluggish. If the bhp per tonne was 40 they would say it would be OK. Due to Covid I have only towed it about 300 miles of mixed driving. The engine needs to work but it manages. I have usually towed with diesels and they do have better pulling power and fuel economy. As there are only two of us in the car I can take out the rear seats when towing. That would take bhp per tonne up to about 42 when fully laden in car and van. I may fit a better KN air filter and different exhaust when the old one needs changing. It is not worth me changing anything else so I will keep things as they are. I used to tow an Abbey Archway Royal 550 with a Discovery 2.5 diesel. That outfit was only 34 bhp per tonne but was a torque diesel. It worked well. I love the c max and the way it handles. Given the option I would prefer a diesel version but I am not worried about a few more gear changes and extra fuel costs whilst towing.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is a good website towcar.info for this (no affiliation). If you can't find your engined c-max just use the equivelant Focus instead. I think its run by the Dutcg Caravan Club.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts