Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just purchased for my wife’s car (2011 grand titanium ) a towbar and dedicated wiring from ford ... on opening the boxes I’ve noticed that the wiring connects to a trailer module which I do not have , my questions are ...
1 , what does this little box do and is it needed .

2. Would it be cheaper and just as easy to fit a standard towbar wiring kit.

I shall not be doing the wiring as I have a friend who is a mechanic who will do this for me ,he has just asked me to source the parts ready for the fitment and he will do the rest.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The trailer module connects to the Canbus on the car and just makes wiring simpler and neater. It also allows the car to know when a trailer is connected (if you program it in). There should be a spare plug floating around inside the rear left hand cover (from back) just above the wheel well. From memory its wrapped in foam. This is the Canbus connection for the module. I fitted one myself several years back when I have my old GCMax. You should have connectors in the kit to add a new fuse to the fusebox in the same area thats used as the power source for all the wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks I’ve found the wires , one green and one grey connector and module ordered. Hopefully it should be a straightforward install.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yep, quite straightforward. You dont need to program it for it to work. I left mine for about 6 months then finally had the prgramming done when it went in for service. Never really saw any difference once it had been programmed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts