Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by my mechanic that my timing chain is on its last legs does £550 to replace it sound about right ? It's a 07 plate and almost done 100,000 Thanks Russell

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi

Hi,
think you'll find it's a timing belt but either way it sounds expensive to me.
As with anything nowadays it pays to shop around and once you've found a decent honest garage/mechanic, preferably by recommendation, stick to it.
Last legs sounds like it's fraying so needs doing soon and don't drive the car unless you have to.
Good luck
Bob.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You could try calling your local Halfords service centre for a quote. You don't have to use them but it will give an idea of a competitive cost.
The price on the Ford Motorcraft website is £339 and £439 with a new water pump so £550 seems high.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
think you'll find it's a timing belt but either way it sounds expensive to me.
As with anything nowadays it pays to shop around and once you've found a decent honest garage/mechanic, preferably by recommendation, stick to it.
Last legs sounds like it's fraying so needs doing soon and don't drive the car unless you have to.
Good luck
Bob.[/ Thank you for your advice and yes probably got it wrong is a timing belt similar to a cam belt ? Either way I need to get it fixed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try calling your local Halfords service centre for a quote. You don't have to use them but it will give an idea of a competitive cost.
The price on the Ford Motorcraft website is £339 and £439 with a new water pump so £550 seems high.[ Thanks for your advice I will definitely shop around.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When you get a quote always ask what is included? If it's a 1.8 tdci it could have a lower wet timing belt and an upper timing belt OR a lower timing CHAIN and an upper timing belt it will also have an aux belt.
But if either snaps it's a new engine or sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The price on the Ford Motorcraft website is £339 and £439 with a new water pump so £550 seems high.
that would be for the upper belt - the lower in oil belt /chain plus upper belt and seals/gkts to do the job ,parts come to 580 from ford

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe with petrol engines it's only the 2 litre version that has the chain. Not sure about diesel engines though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts