Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Is there a way of telling if the timing belt on a 1.6 tdci has been changed?

I've read that it should be changed every 100,000/10 years and the car I've just bought has 120,000 and is 12 years old.

The guy I bought it from says he's pretty sure, but not 100% it has been changed, but by the guy he bought it from.

Any pointers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
not really in my opinion - anyway I have never had a belt snap it is usually the pulley bearing that breaks and garages don't always change them - I have the same problems but can not decide if to change the water pump as well while changing the belt - I have no idea if anything has been done on my car,
if you like the car and it's worth it change all those parts for peace of mind (my cars only worth £500 so it makes spending £300 on the belt change a little more pointless)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must admit, I'm in the same situation. I paid £300 for mine and I'm 99% sure it has been changed. I had a Saab 9-3 diesel last year and it was the spring on the cambelt tensioner that failed on that one. The cams jumped a couple of teeth and snapped the rocker arms (which is what they're supposed to do) but the valves on cylinder 2 smashed into the piston. One dead Saab. :-(

If only there was some sort of warning that your belt needs changing!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a audi that wrote it's sell of when the bearing failed , so on my last audi I changed every thing - no problems but in the end I did 240000 miles in it and could not be bothered to do it all again so I bought a bmw with a chain so I don't have a belt to worry about -
anyway that's my other car
when summer comes and it's had it's first with me MOT - I will do the belt as well as a flush for the DPF that's been giving me some problems with being blocked )don't think I will do the water pump.
most anything thing is that the last owner had the bottom pulley changed and the mechanic who did the work could have done it all while he was there but just changed the one pulley !
anyway I think it's recommended to do the belt every 60000 !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what I will do is try and get the egr problem sorted and then do the belt.

I really like the car so I don't want it to go the same way as my Saab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just cleaned my EGR but I am not sure if I solved it or not - originally had 3 errors - after cleaning 100 miles later I got just one error pointing to the egr, then a little later the DPF became blocked which I managed to clean with a forced regen - and now have done another 150 mile without problem , must be a typical problem with the 1.6D
not sure what will happen at the MOT as last time they put a advisory note on the MOT sheet which worries me that something is wrong - ie I have never seen this before

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• emission too clean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts