Ford C-Max Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
blimey, thats many moons ago!
After days of work the steering still had a stiffness albeit very much improved.
I ended up trading it in. I now have a younger, ghia spec, Cmaxwhich has been excellent.
Do the now warmer days mean your steering is less of an issue?
I found it much worse in the winter.
so , in effect, they nearly fixed it and I nearly kept it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi there doris, i have the same issue as you do, mainly cold mornings its reluctant to move from central position of the steering wheel, when warm its fine. my thoughts are it is either the oil viscosity in the pump or the pump itself, it is a weird feeling when it does it, its like someone has hold of the wheel whilst your trying to turn. has anyone given you any good suggestions as to the issue. cheers, gats

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had exactly the same issue some months back. I took the car in to a mechanic who diagnosed it as an electronic issue, cleared a fault code on the CPU and handed it back fixed. At the next scheduled service they found no problems with the steering, and there has been no recurrence of the issue since.
Long story short - don't replace anything until you've had your CPU interrogated

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
well, all i can say is the main dealer who sold the car could not fix it. They found no codes and i used it for the summer, warm no problems. come the winter then it started again. very good description, some one holding the wheel.....
The main ford agent had it for weeks and got me so fed up another newer one tempted me.
Never put off by the car apart from this peculiar steering.
Pity it was never resolved fully. pity it cost me £hundreds as well.
good night.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2006 2.0 TDCI with steering that has 3 modes, Standard, Comfort & Sport, thought all models had this, set up the steering feel depending if am feeling lazy (Comfort), Sport if am playing or on track, very precise with a lot of feel & feedbackor it goes to Standard if the wife is driving, a very flexible arrangement, also isn't the steering electro / hydraulic ?. Paul H.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This "tight spot" or "reluctance to turn left or right off centre"
described my problem perfectly, I took it to 'Kempster Ford' of Heywood, who
cleaned the "EPAS Pump Module Connections" and handed my car back without a
problem.

They said the module connections were prone to getting dirty and wet, causing the electrical problem.
Total cost £28.75 inc VAT - Bravo Kempster Ford of Heywood, Lancs!

Hope this helps someone!
(C-Max, petrol, 1798, on a 54 plate)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I currently have exactly the same problem on my 04 ghia c-max. At low speeds relativley free steering and OK (although quite stiff for first 5 minutes or so), at speeds over about 20-30, it feels like there is the reluctance to go past centr on either side (like someone is holding it)!!

I had incorrectly assumed that this was a featur of the dynamic ehpas but took it into a garage and have now been told that the fluid level has been too low consequently daminging the rack and sending bits of metal debris back into the pump. Solution, new rack and pump. Only had the car two months so under warranty but the warranty company are curently only authorising the rack and not the pump!

Hopefully the warranty company and/or garage will play ball and pay for the pump also!!

G*

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Would suggest that as you have only had it two months you (hopefully) have a comeback on the seller irrespective of the warranty.
It's unlikely that the fluid level has only been low for two months so it must have been like that when sold and thus very likely to have been faulty when sold. I would suggest a chat with Trading Standards might help

·
Registered
3 Posts
hoping to keep it civil at the moment but have the legal rights in my back pocket if required. A useful bit of legislation is that under the sale of goods act 1979, for the first six months of ownership,it is the sellers responsibility to prove the fault didn`t exist when sold not the purchaser!

fingers crossed!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
do remember that if they want to repair it then it has to be at nosignificant inconvenience to you and that if they attempt to repair and it's still a problem that the 6 months resets effectively

21 - 30 of 30 Posts