Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , My old 2005 2 litre diesel C Max is still a wonderful car and tows our caravan with ease , it has developed a reasonably loud "Ticking" from the N/S/F its metallic and repeats slightly quicker than every second , it starts immediately with either forward or reverse movement and remains constant no matter what speed the car is doing , thankfully it gets drowned out as road noises take over . Any ideas would be much appreciated .

·
Registered
361 Posts
If as you state its metallic and repeats slightly quicker than every second and is constant at that speed no matter what speed the car is doing then it cant be anything to do with the engine rotation or drive train right down to the tyres. Any item along that train will have a differing frequency dependent on speed.
My thoughts would be foremost that you are looking for something electrically generated, the ABS module pump assembly maybe as until the car is rolling it doesnt activate so no noise at rest. Power steering pump system is another possibility. There are relays on the NSF though I fail to see how one of those could generate enough noise for you to hear it over the diesel engine.
One other possibility is that your hearing is playing tricks on you, try getting someone to drive while you play hunt the sound. The B pillar on these had a problem where several layers of metal flex and click though I fail to see how this would be constant frequency.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If as you state its metallic and repeats slightly quicker than every second and is constant at that speed no matter what speed the car is doing then it cant be anything to do with the engine rotation or drive train right down to the tyres. Any item along that train will have a differing frequency dependent on speed.
My thoughts would be foremost that you are looking for something electrically generated, the ABS module pump assembly maybe as until the car is rolling it doesnt activate so no noise at rest. Power steering pump system is another possibility. There are relays on the NSF though I fail to see how one of those could generate enough noise for you to hear it over the diesel engine.
One other possibility is that your hearing is playing tricks on you, try getting someone to drive while you play hunt the sound. The B pillar on these had a problem where several layers of metal flex and click though I fail to see how this would be constant frequency.
Hi Oldman and thank you , at last I have found someone who actually reads the posts and understands problems.
I think the ABS is as you say most likely and it is bolted solid to the N/S bulkhead .
I confess to having to wear hearing aids but several passengers have commented on the ticking , " have you got a bomb in here " being one comment , it is constant and only with the car moving in either direction.
I will investigate the ABS control and let you know results . Thank you again !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts