Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been done to death, but I'm considering a MK2 C Max as a replacement for my now dilapidated MK1 Focus. Engine wise, I'm looking at the 1.8 16v, with a budget of around £2K (service history, low owners etc.) A bit more poke than the 1.6 I've been used to, but less than the 1.7CDTi Meriva I've been tooling around in as a stop gap. The 1.8 will be more expensive to tax, but it's a price I'm willing to pay, for better handling and no DPF to worry about. Main concern, aside from usual wear and tear is corrosion. The MK1 Focus wasn't great, the MK2 was marginally better. As the C max is a similar platform I'm assuming it'll suffer the same fate eventually....

So before I start trolling around with a torch, are there any specific areas to look at, in or around? Inner rear wings, rear arches, and rear sills were the usual suspects on Focii, along with rear trailing arms and coil spring mounts. I think my brake pipes were "covered in grease or other material" from new!

Finally, the 1.8 petrol engine rarely seems to get slated online (unless I'm looking in the wrong places), so are there any common issues to watch out for, or tell tale signs of impending demise? I'm thinking in terms of head gasket failure, water works, air con etc....the Focus was pretty much gremlin free in all the time I had it, apart from a few minor electrical faults, so I'm hoping the C max will be much the same. I'm not averse to a bit of spannering but whatever car I go for will be a daily driver get-to-work, so needs to be at least as reliable

Thanks in advance, Jonathan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is a 1.8 mk2 I love it don’t get me wrong it don’t feel much of a fast car to me as my last cars were Sierra Sapphire Cosworths RWD and a 4x4 but my c max is reliable I service it every year the only work I’ve had to do other than service is brakes front and rear but obviously that’s just wear and tear item same as new exhaust wear and tear. Service is getting done next weekend and rear callipers are being replaced as one is seized. Other than than no problems to report mate. I love it. ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it comes down to how well and regularly the car's been serviced (as with most motors). Was looking round a 2009 the other day with 90K...underside wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was definitely in need of some preventative maintenance around the rear trailing arms etc. Couple of tiny rust spots beginning to show on the leading edge of the rear arches.....water in the boot (droplets on the RHS lower plastic trim cover, so presumably coming in through the rear light housing seal)...not bad considering

the way I see it, there are those rare cars with one fastidious owner, who keeps every receipt, then there are those cars with numerous owners who shell out for unforeseen faults shortly after buying a 'new to them' car (ie the reason the last seller got shut) who then decide to sell it on after a year or two as they don't wan't to stump up for the next problem....either way, the cars have money thrown at them....so even a car with plenty of owners can be in that sweet spot when you come to buy it: all common issues attended to with a good few years of relatively trouble-free years left in it. Question is, how to sort the wheat from the chaff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts