Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after suffering catastrophic turbo failure on My 05 1.6 [DV6] and carefully rebuilding the turbo and fitting it. I came across all the terrifying problems these stupid French engines have with just making things slippery enough to spin round without seizing.

I won't go into the hideous design of the sump, drain plug and pickup tube or the pathetic engine oil capacity, neither will I touch on the cause of all the crap which gets into the few litres that the engine does have.

But I will just say that after having to remove the preposterous filter in the lower banjo bolt that was completely blocked with sludge/carbon [hence the dead turbo]that I like the look of the cleanable inline oil filters that are available from dusty places like Aus.

However the only ones I can find have 4AN or 6AN threads. Does anyone know if the Garret turbo [VVT] use this standard or are they metric?
I want to be able to see how much crap the dirty french thing is pumping up to the turbo at every oil change.

I also want to drop the sump at the next oil change [I'm going to let it do 500 miles first to get some use out of the new oil] to check the silly strainer on the pickup and also clean the sludge out.
Is this easy enough on axle stands or are we talking suspension parts off or some thing equally hideous like exhaust off?
I have checked flow to and from the turbo and it's ok for now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I flush and change my oil and filter every 3 -4 month on my 90hp 1.6tdci. After reading all the bad stories on turbo faliure on this engine , i am really worried if i am driving a time bomb and wasting my money on this car.
It has 127000 miles on clock and i thought these engines should easily do 200k with regular oil changes, but starting to doubt it.
Thinking when weather picks up, should i drop and clean sump and pick up and replace oil turbo feed pipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys.
I have a 1.6 C-MAX 109HP from 2008 and engine code D8DB. Mileage is 220.000km.
From day one it has been running with a tuning box adapted having 140HP and +300Nm of torque.
Now it has reached the age of 12 and is still running fantastic on daily basis and on German freeways towards Italy in the summer.

I have never had any issues with the turbo or any other stuff in the driveline.
Engine oil is changed within 15.000km and at minimum once every year.
During high speed running in Germany and sudden stops for gas, I have always kept the engine running idle for at least 5-10 minutes to let the turbo cool off.
In my younger days I had a turbo petrol car and sometimes you had to let the engine run for at least 10 minutes after a quick spin, only to let the turbo cool off.
This is something that a car sales guy knows nothing about but should be a common introduction when bying a turbo car.

The French made engines doesn't have an issue with the turbo in general. But keep an eye on the mileage between servicing the oil... exceeding the 20.000km could lead to turbo failures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts