Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the site, and would like some help with my 2004 Focus C Max LX TDCI.
I have beenexperiencing the following :- Engine Management Light is on.
Initially there was black smoke from the exhaust, then I had a loss of power, and the black smoke disappeared (after a few months).
Now I have no black smoke, will not rev above 3000 revs, and feels very sluggish through all gears. Have changed all filters.

Through this site I have learnt about finding the TDC code on the trip meter which I didnt know about and thank you for that.

The code that is displayed is D900 - How do I find out what this code stands for and how do I cure it?
Many Thanks in advance for your kind help.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The codes are DTCs - I think you're thinking of the engine with is TDCi :D

The general consensus on the internet seems to be that gauge produced DTCs are useless and aren't the "real" codes. I've always read mine off an actual reader so can't say.

Do you ever feel the turbo kick in? I'm tempted to say it's either crankshaft sensor andEGR valve. I had the same problems you are however they were intermittent and haven't experienced them for awhile but both of those were put forward as possible causes.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response - much appreciated. I havent felt the turbo kick in for a while now, it seems to be "dragging" a lot at the moment. The black smoke and EM light were intermittent but the EM light seems to be with me all the time and the black smoke is no more.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you drive in say 2nd gear you don't feel an increase in power around 1700RPM?
What's your top speed?

I know when it happened to me I was struggling to maintain 50 unless I was going down a hill.....up steep hills I was struggling to get 30mph. I take it yours isn't as bad as that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's very similar, uphill is a major struggle, in 3rd or 2nd, changing down a gear doesnt help at all.

Went down the motorway this afternoon, quite frightening, top speed of about 50, couldnt afford to overtake unless we were going downhill.

Going up through the gears isnt a pleasant experience, moving great, then the loss of power and of course the momentum, so keeping one eye in the mirror and praying that nobody is going to hit me from behind.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The relief that it isnt just me or my car is a big help I am really pleased that I found this site and Thank You for your help and assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts