Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Focus C-Max with heated windscreen and heated washer jets. I use ordinary tap water to fill the washer bottle. I've noticed at timesthat the water squirted onto the windscreen leaves a residue that 'sets' a bit like clear glue on parts of the screen that the wiper bladesdon't clear. These marks take a bit of scrubbing with a car brush to get them off. Should I be using something other than ordinary tap water?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its probably limescale.... but that is assuming you live in a hard water area.

The water in Basingstoke is really hard, but I fitted a water softener when I moved in and never have a problem with lime scale in the house.I therefore always use tap water when topping up my windscreen washer.

Try bottled water a couple of times and see if you get the same results.....

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Collecting rain water - now why didn't I think of that! Good ideas are often the most obvious. Many thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So to avoid any chemical reactions from the 'acid' rain the simplist option is to try the pure naturally filtered bottle water.

Even if you do that just to eliminate the limescale out of the tap water.

JRLIS, just give all the options a try and let us know how you get on.... Heeheeee..!!!

Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back when I try one or more out, though it'll probably take mea few weeks to run each batch through the screenwasher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have tried rain water, that's after emptying the washer bottle. After a couple of months using rain water, I'm disappointed to report that I'm still getting the original problem, i.e. using the windscreen washers leaves a residue that 'sets' a bit like clear glue on parts of the screen that the wiper bladesdon't clear. I haven't yet tried bottled water, though I doubt it will be any different from rain water. Since it takes quite a while to empty the washer bottle, I'll probably just put up withthe problemuntil I change the car. Thanks again for the suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
forget rain water as it has dirt in it when it rains the next day after the rain dries there lots of dirt on your car? would you put dirty water on top of more dirt? forget bottled water unless your a footballer and can afford to pay - try boiling water in a kettle then after its cooled using that also to help until u can figure out what it is - try using rainx on your windscreen to give it more slip and protection from that water. if youve tried different waters then it cant be the water and must be the sceen/wipers/ or heat reaction from the heated jets thats all thats left. do you get the problem when using cold water on the screen or cold water with a bit of screen cleaner in it ? by not using the heated jets if you can turn the hested element s off (unplug the heated part or have u a switch that give u the option) to rule out the heated aspect

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
the heated jets are only heated when the front screen heater is on
you could also try using the melted ice from when you defrost your freezer. It used to be the thing to use to top batterys up when you could do so that is

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses. I'm continuing to get the problem, e.g. today the 'water' squirted onto the windscreen was quite thick and slightly milky in colour. It 'slides' down the windscreen from the area above that wiped by the wipers a bit like partially melted snow. After a while the smears leave a milky-white residue on the windscreen and parts of the side windows where the water splashes from the wipers. I had the car since brand new and have never put anything in the washer bottle apart from plain water. The car is now almost two years old. Over the last few months I have run a few fills of rain water through the washer jets, but I'm still getting the same symptoms I got when using tap water. I'm surprised that I seem to be the only one getting these symptoms. The car is due a service in the next few weeks, so I'll be asking the garage to check out the problem, but I'm not really expecting much success there. I think I'll just have to accept the water coming from the jets is 'strange' and leave it at that. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I can't remember just how difficult it is to get the washer bottle out but it does sound like something in the bottle itself
Perhaps even from before you had it if it stood for a while at the factory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts