Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forget where the switch operates from, where the fault is. I assume it's in the rectangular "box" which contains the latch bolted to the bottom of the tailgate. I think that was what was faulty last time. I got a replacement from Silverlake breakers, a year of more ago, but now the door latch half way up under the number plate doesn't work. I got the tailgate open with torx bolts barely accessible from inside. Now I need to test the latch opening "switch", as layman i'm not sure how without getting an other new one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dont bother trying to repair the faulty one just buy a new one £6-£8 on Ebay. They fail with water inside, its quite common. If you unplug it you will see its just 2 wires so short them out (just touch and release them) to test it unlocks the latch assembly. Put a screwdriver shaft through the latch to lock it with the tailgate open then use the switch or short the wires to the switch and it should "clunk" and drop the driver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clear suggestions. I found the breakers is open so went along and got a screen washer pump for my son and a switch at the same time, which seems to work just hanging loose for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to the breakers before I read your suggestions, so maybe should buy a new switch to save the hassle if it happens again. In fact it was something in the bottom latch assembly which failed last year. It's useful to pull the breakers' cars apart to see how it all works, (usually a bit raised up to a more comfortable working height incidentally, and the odd mechanic to ask for quick hints ). I tested the switch as you suggested, thanks. There were 3 Cmaxes, 2010, 2009 and 2008. I believe I got the 2010 switch, after finding the 2008 wiring one corroded . My Cmax is 2005 with about 110,000 miles on the clock, 40,000 with me, and apart from an injector fault, an alternator, one front suspension component worn, and the above has been largely trouble free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts