Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I’m after a bit of advise/information.

I have a 2013 Eco Boost 1ltr Turbo C Max. I recently changed the spark plugs as it was idling a bit funny when started. As soon as I changed the spark plugs it started and ran fine. Later I noticed that the exhaust was blowing white smoke. I checked the coolant and it was a bit low (don’t know how long for as my wife drives it more than me), I topped up the coolant but the next day it was all gone. The car was running as normal and the temperature gauge remained in the centre and didn’t indicate over heating.

I’ve checked the oil and there’s no creamy residue or signs of oil or coolant leaks. I drove it to a garage and admittedly its in limp mode now and a garage has said the head gasket has gone.

I’m not saying he is wrong but I was wondering if it could be anything else or is there a way of saving it without stripping engine? The car has only done 72000 miles and been serviced every year.

I’ve sent Ford an email explaining the situation as I’ve found a couple of articles that suggest this is a common problem in 2011 - 2013 Eco Boost engines. Hopefully they can assist in some way.

I would be grateful If anyone can offer a suggestion or even just tell me as it is.

regards
James

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, most likely head gasket. These engines run very hot. The temp guage is probably ECU controlled and will just tell you cold, normal or hot. The normal failure with these engines is that the degass pipe near the turbo (which is water cooled) breaks at the plastic T piece which causes loss of coolant and engine damage. The later versions had a new degass pipe without the T. These can be retro-fitted to earlier models (and should be). The main issue is that it is not only the head gaskett that goes, the block will also very likely be warped as well. You will need a new engine. Heads warp without the pipe breaking (frequently by the looks of it).

Ford were fixing FOC as they recognised the design flaw. However, given the car is 7 years old, I am not sure they will help now even with FFSH.

Look on Facebook at "Ford Ecoboost Nightmare" and follow thier advice, they talk about the Focus but the C-Max is equally applicable.

If you have full Ford history, speak to them to see where you may stand. If you bought the car in the last 6 months from a dealer, make it thier issue. If the car is on finance, also make it thier issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paule,

Thank you for the info.
I’m waiting for Ford to respond to my email be I suspect they’ll say they can’t do (Won’t) do anything.
The decision I’ve got now is do I fix it or scrap it. Scrapping it seems wrong as it’s a good car but is getting an entire new engine worth it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I don’t have personal experience but new engines are supposed to be reasonably priced direct from Ford. With the reputation these engines have don’t go the secondhand route unless you intend to move it on straight away.

Look on the bright side, you saved yourself a £1000 cam belt change in a few years time so maybe you can mentally offset some of the engine cost against that?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes go for the new engine the cars far too good to scrap, you will have the peace of mind having a new engine with warranty and and the latest spec and economy no cam belts to worry about ,and of course it will add to the value of the car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just seen a company based in Lincoln offering recon Ecoboosts for 1400 inc. I am not affiliated and know nothing about them but may be worth a look. Search "Ford 1.0 Ecoboost Engines" on Marketplace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts