Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through the forum and found a couple of threads relating to this issue, but no one has come up with a definitive answer to what it is or what the answer is - only an inconclusive list of what the mechanic did When I steer to the left there is a brief moment when the wheel is very hard to turn - just the first couple of degrees - and then it goes normally for the rest of the turn. It's almost as if there's a hesitation in the power steering being activated. Imagine if for the first couple of degrees of turn your passenger were holding the wheel, then let it go - that's what it's like

There's no problem with steering to the right, only to the left

The car is a 04 Focus C-Max Ghia, that I've only just bought

The problem seems to cure itself after about thirty or forty miles of driving

It's not a problem again until the cars been left for a couple of hours

Any answers? Ford technical bulletins? Anyone from Ford listening?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Does it only happen when you start from the straight ahead position or does it happen whenever you first try to turn left
I#m wondering what would happen if you left it for a couple of hours with the wheel turned toward full R/H lock and then tried to turn left

I have a feeling that the steering get progressively more assisted the more lock you have on in order to help keep the steering in the straight ahead more easily

·
Registered
336 Posts
Never thought about it till now but where do you check the power steering fluid level. Cant remember seeing a dipstick or tank

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mechanics have had a look at it, and done the usual process of plugging their PC into it and running a check. The result showed a "trouble code" (what's one of them?) relating to the steering, which they cleared . . .

. . . and it seems to be back to normal! So either it's a purely electronic problem - a bug in the firmware - or there's an intermittent fault in the mechanical components of the steering that prompts the firmwareto go into this strange "Zoolander" setting

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
By trouble code they mean fault code.This is a series of numbers & letters that can be read by a diagnostics computer to tell it what is wrong.With the C-Max the steering is electric so by clearing the error code,the cars ecu knows nothing is wrong,that is until it somes up again (lets hope not).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the steering is electronically controlled that explains a lot - the level of assistance will presumably vary with the speed at which you're travelling, how fast you turn the wheel, and which way the wheel's pointing: also, the centring effect will largely consist of an artificial resistance to the first tiny bit of turn that you put on the steering wheel. So it only takes a tiny bug in the firmware to produce the effect that I (and one or two other people) have experienced

1 - 7 of 7 Posts