Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had my 2004CMax 2.0 TDCi for 4 weeks. This week it has developed an intermitent problem.

The car starts ok but sometimes wont allow you to accelerate. If I try revving it to get the rev up it starts jumping and wont go above 1000rpm. After approx 1 minute the revs start working properly.

This morning has been the worst. It started up ok but the revs kept going up and down between 800 + 1200rpm on there own.Smoke came from the exhuast. Took about 2 minutes to return to normal this morning.

Please has anyone suffered a similar problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like the EGR valve to me. This is part of the emissions control system and a known problem for early 2.0 diesels. An improved part has been produced to try and stop the problem.

It's a jobfor a good garage togive the car a diagnostic check first to confirm.A new EGR valve is about £350 from a Ford main dealer, plus £80 for the diagnostics.

If you bought your car from agarageI would get it back to them quick - should be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately we bought the car private. It ran perfect for 3 weeks then started with the fault.

Will have to get it booked into ford garage as soon as.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I've been reading up on the EDC (Electronic diesel control that the fuel system uses and there are a great number of sensors that could also affect this

There is a sensor on the brake pedal that if it DOES NOT think the pedal is fully off probably puts the system into idle
there is also a sensor on the accelerator that senses an increase in speed demand and compares this value to the value in the ECU that is a function of the sensor that monitors the fuel pump speed

A problem with either of these could prevent acceleration occuring

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Addysasa,

I just collected my Focus C-Max 2.0ltr TDCi Ghia on Tuesday. Twice today I have had exactly the same symptoms as you. Have you had yours sorted yet, if so what was it? I will be booking mine in ASAP as its under warranty for 3 months. I have also decided to get a three year on as soon as the 3 months are up. It maybe a wise move.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
just make sure to check the xclusion conditions as regards both "Wear and Tear" and any requirements to have vehicle serviced by those who are allowed to stamp the service history book (more likely to be very expensive) especially with regard to engine problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2 ltr ghia td
Have had same experience over the last month.
Having new alternator fitted today at local garage. This has been waitingfor new one to be deliveredall over christmas and new year. Now garage found same fault, starts but no acceleration and lots of smoke. Has found the EGR stuck open? or closed not sure which (possibly made worse because car has not been used since 19th dec)
Ordered new one (bout 300£ fitted?)
Hope this is the end of my problems and hope this helps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POST

My dad has spoken to someone who works for Ford and told him with the TDCI model you need to keep the clutch down when starting the car and then release it once started.

I have done this since and had no further problems at all.

My husband drove the car at the weekend and forgot to press the clutch on starting and the running problem happened.

Hopefully thishas fixed our problem.

Sally

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I have to say that this seems coincidental but there may be some truth in it, I have heard of similar starting proceedures but have never had a car where you need do any more than turn the key.

Mine actually broke down last week. I filled it up on Tuesday night and went to owrk the following morning as normal. The car was fine on the way in. I had reason to nip out at lunch time and when I started the car it was idling real rough and then cut out. I tried to start it again but no joy. The recovery guy came out had a poke round and said when did you last fill up? Last night I told him, he then asked was I sure I filled it with Diesel. I was but then the seed has been planted and so spent the next few hours worrying... as it turned out I had filled it with Diesel. The Ford dealer found the fault to be with the EGR valve and as the starter was sounding weak they replaced that too. All was fine except the idle was a little lumpy. I had ordered a K&N for it before it broke and so fitted it. The old filter was the most filthy I have ever seen, I am supprised the engine could breath. The K&N fitted and the car is like a dream. Not to mention the extra few MPG I am getting... Happy Days...

I am now a happy chappy... :eek:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts