Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving all over Argyll and Bute in remote areas miles from anything for my job I have never had a problem with a puncture always been lucky. driving down M^6 to Yorkshire last weekend got puncture in fast lane and it went down pretty quick wasn't instant enough to get of the motorway but then I had the wait for AA for 2 hrs, as I didn't want to use the glue that does not work from previous experience on different cars.

so I had been looking for a solution for advised that it could not be done aftermarket even if I have a tyre well after bit of googling found a thread on here that she light but did not have photos so.

tonight I did the procedure about 10-15 minutes max all you need is the correct torxs and a ratchet

step 1

Leave the rear 2 seats folded down seat 6 and 7

step 2

fold the rear boot cover back to get access to the wheel well

step 3

Remove the polystyrene boot tidy compartment

step 4

Disconnect the left side torx screw securing seat belt to the floor and the left side torx screw for the rear seat 6 seen in picture seat bolts 1.

step 5

Disconnect the right side torx screw securing seat belt to the floor and the right side torx screw for the rear seat 7 seen in picture seat bolts 2

step 6

disconnect the rear seat seatbelt senor on right side next to torx screws apply little pressure underneath and connector slides out.

step 7

remove the carpet covering the spare wheel well 2 choices here remove the boot plastic plate covering the carpet connecti ng to the reat back panel inside boot or the option I decided to go with was to slide the carpet out from behinf the plastic cover once out from the back panel the whole carpet comes out on one peace..

step 8

add wheel make sure spare fits which it should as I just done mine .

step 9

remove wheel and place torx screws back and re tighten screws reversing steps 4 and 5.

step 10

add your new spare wheel. job done have a beer or vino.

added the pictures below not sure how to link to each step to each photo but the photos show it can bee done if you have grand c max with no spare fitted from factory

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I've only had my Cmax for a month, 12 plate. my last car had three flats in ten years, none of them would have been any use with the repair kit thing. I just know it's going to happen. Question, has anyone ever been totally stranded by not having a spare? I mean, middle of the night with no tyre house open, anyone had to be recovered home? I'm completely useless with anything to do with diy. If I go and see my local Ford dealer can they sort out a spare? I just know I'm going to get stuck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Driving all over Argyll and Bute in remote areas miles from anything for my job I have never had a problem with a puncture always been lucky. driving down M^6 to Yorkshire last weekend got puncture in fast lane and it went down pretty quick wasn't instant enough to get of the motorway but then I had the wait for AA for 2 hrs, as I didn't want to use the glue that does not work from previous experience on different cars.

so I had been looking for a solution for advised that it could not be done aftermarket even if I have a tyre well after bit of googling found a thread on here that she light but did not have photos so.

tonight I did the procedure about 10-15 minutes max all you need is the correct torxs and a ratchet

step 1

Leave the rear 2 seats folded down seat 6 and 7

step 2

fold the rear boot cover back to get access to the wheel well

step 3

Remove the polystyrene boot tidy compartment

step 4

Disconnect the left side torx screw securing seat belt to the floor and the left side torx screw for the rear seat 6 seen in picture seat bolts 1.

step 5

Disconnect the right side torx screw securing seat belt to the floor and the right side torx screw for the rear seat 7 seen in picture seat bolts 2

step 6

disconnect the rear seat seatbelt senor on right side next to torx screws apply little pressure underneath and connector slides out.

step 7

remove the carpet covering the spare wheel well 2 choices here remove the boot plastic plate covering the carpet connecti ng to the reat back panel inside boot or the option I decided to go with was to slide the carpet out from behinf the plastic cover once out from the back panel the whole carpet comes out on one peace..

step 8

add wheel make sure spare fits which it should as I just done mine .

step 9

remove wheel and place torx screws back and re tighten screws reversing steps 4 and 5.

step 10

add your new spare wheel. job done have a beer or vino.

added the pictures below not sure how to link to each step to each photo but the photos show it can bee done if you have grand c max with no spare fitted from factory
Hi grant, thanks for this information great help just like to ask what size of wheel and tyre did you use? Can a jack still be accomodated in the remaining space? Cheers

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi grant, thanks for this information great help just like to ask what size of wheel and tyre did you use? Can a jack still be accomodated in the remaining space? Cheers
The official Ford kit includes a wheel and a jack. Ford part number 1827682.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They should be able to. There is an official kit for the Grand C-Max, Ford part number 1827682.
Hi, mines the regular Cmax not the grand, I assume the dealer would still be able to sort me out with a spare. Like I said, diy is not my thing and the whole issue seems rather confusing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first post so be gentle! Just put a deposit on a nice 2013 black Grand C-Max 1.6 TDCI Zetec and it has the gunk+pump which I didn't want but it was such a good deal and I knew a spare was an option I figured it would be straightforward to retrofit. Obviously I have now discovered it's not so straightforward and after a bit of surfing have found this sticky which looks like the answer but I have a couple of queries.
1) I have found the 'Ford Grand C-Max 16'' Spare Wheel Kit With 3rd Row Rear Seats' for 23-08-2010 models onwards on Fordpartsuk but it lists a 6.5jx16" steel rim which is not a space-saver, is this correct?
2) The part number for this kit is 1827862 not 1827682, is this a typo in this thread?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can't say for sure if the spare is correct as I only have a "standard" C-Max, not the Grand version, but my spare is not a proper space-saver either, just a somewhat smaller "normal" wheel and tyre. Same applied to my recently traded Ka, and my Fiesta also has a normal spare wheel/tyre of different size to the alloys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this post. We have GCM 2012 Diesel Titanium with the factory fitted puncture repair kit but we would rather have a spare wheel so we just ordere a second hand one off ebay. We just used a Stanley knife to cut out the piece of thick carpet in the wheel well and slid the spare wheel straight in just like that. The space saver we got is 125 85 R16. The 3rd row seats fold up easily and no adjustments needed to be made. The wheel fits under the 3rd row seat bar no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the last month we've bought a 2014 Grand C-Max with third row seats, and wanted to fit a spare wheel. Had all the problems that others have mentioned, but I think I've solved how to fit it without removing carpet.

The wheel supplied in the Ford kit needs the T125/80 16R tyre, my local Ford dealer told me. When fitted, this will not go into the wheel well with the carpet in place with the tyre inflated, BUT, deflate the tyre fully, put a large bin liner over the tyre, and with gentle encouragement, it slides into the space, and out again. The rear boot flap sits just a little high (I guess because the carpet it still in place), but not enough to worry me.

As a little precaution against the beading slipping off the rim while lying on its side, I partially inflated the tyre. It takes just a few moments to let the air out to remove the tyre.

I hope this helps someone, and saves some of the frustration I encountered while trying to sort out how to fit this wheel. Totally ridiculous to be expected to remove the carpet and soundproofing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just replaced the gunk stuff with the Ford kit that is 1827862. Followed what another poster had done by removing the carpet. Thanks to Grant who posted the process.

The kit comes with a replacement foam insert that allows for the tyre to be fitted under it. The Foam insert is a replacement for the current insert but has different compartments.

The kit also has the jack, tyre wrench, valve, tyre spacer retaining bolt and space saver steel rim. The towing eye can be screwed in to the tyre wrench to extend the length of the wrench if extra leverage is required.

I went to local tyre dealer who fitted a new space saver tyre that was a Continental T125/16 90 as stated in the owners manual.

The kit cost £120 from ford and the tyre was £65.

As Grant stated in this thread, removal of the torx bolts allowed for the carpet to be removed from the wheel well. The carpet is thick as it has about 1/4inch Foam stuck to it. The whole process took 20 mins. Bit of a wrestle to extract the carpet but was not difficult.

Rear seats function as designed and easily raise and lower without any modification.

One funny thing. The ford kit came in a box that filled the Grand C max boot because of the foam insert being part of the kit. Made me smile thinking that the huge box contents had to be placed under the boot floor.

Finally, apart from finding a spare aerial in the boot wheel well, you should note that the new replacement foam insert does have some storage allowing for bulb kits to be stored.

It is a comfort to know that a spare is in the boot that hopefully will never be required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to buy a second hand spacesaver wheel (with tyre and jack included) for £28 from Fleabay. I just cut the bottom off the foam tray to clear the tyre. It still gives room to store some stuff above the tyre. I didn't remove the carpet ,I just took the plastic "lip trim" off (4 torx screws) and refitted when the tyre was in place. I intend to remove the carpet in due course and will try to remove the 1/4 foam from below the carpet to see if the tryre will then slide in and out without having to remove the trim. Whatever the case, it was a cheap fix and SO much better than relying on the "blow-up" repair kit Ford fit as standard. Is there anyone who really believes that is a reasonable way to deal with a puncture?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts