Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after being ripped off in the past by various dealers/garages i have now(probably like most people) decided to service my own vehicle. I have purchased from Ford air filter/pollen filter/ oil filter/ fuel filter.
I have replaced the air filter and now know where the pollen filter is located(thanks to reading through the forum) but before i start on the oil i was struggling to find the oil filter to replace. Any body know where this is located and what colour it is etc? I can't see anything from underneath the vehicle around the sump area etc? Is it visible from looking under the bonnet into the engine?I was also reading that Ford do their own oil and i have purchased Castrol for Diesal engines-is this ok?
Fuel filter seems ok to get at but have also read on this forum that this can be a pain-must say i am not looking forward to it all!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Adge said:
i was struggling to find the oil filter to replace. Any body know where this is located and what colour it is etc? I was also reading that Ford do their own oil and i have purchased Castrol for Diesal engines-is this ok?
Fuel filter seems ok to get at but have also read on this forum that this can be a pain
Mine was a 2.0 diesel. The oil filter was accessed from the top of the engine - it was a large black circular thing with a large nut on top - simply unscrew it.

Re the oil - read your owners manual and check the specification of the oil (ie ACEA B1 etc)and make sure your Castrol oil is to the same required spec.

The trick with changing the fuel filter is to fill the new one with new clean diesel before you fit it. It saves turning the engine over on the starter for ages.

Don't be daunted by a service - it's not really different to any other car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
check your castrol oil is 5w 30. I have just had my 1.6 tdci serviced and checked castrol website tells you to use magnatec 5 30 full synthetic. the for diesel is a semi 10 40
Edited by: jam136

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have now changed the oil-no problems. Went to change the fuel filter-got the bracket off easy enough but couldn't then get the pipes off to the old filter. These are grey plasticin colour and braded to this point. Anybody know how to get them off please? I have twisted/pulled inserted a screwdriver etc but did not want to be to forceful. On the fuel filter itself(lookin at the new one) there seems to be a ridge/collar?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
How much of the air intake box did you have to remove to get the filter out please

Is the Sump bolt undone with a 7mm Allen key as I've been led to believe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep take the air intake box out-this is really easy even for me! One or 2 jubilee clips to undo and then it just lifts out.The oil filter is then visible and i think its a 27?mm nut. I used an adjustable spanner as i didn't have a socket this size but once you have the air box out there is plenty of space to get in to undo it.

Once you have then removed the underneath engine cover the sump and plug is clearly visible from underneath the vehicle(ramps may be an option if you have any). On the 1.6tdci the sump plug is not undone with an allen key-mine was just a nut with a copper washer on-22mm i think. When replacing the sump plug they recommend that the copper washer is also replaced to form a decent seal.
I'm still having a struggle to get the feeds off of the fuel filter though-any body done this or got any ideas?Edited by: Adge

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez-service now complete!

Didn't help though that ford had sold me a faulty fuel filter that cost me a day of messing around trying to get the motor started again when there was deisel hammering out of the bottom of it!

Only when i took it off again and filled it with deisel did i realise that i had been wasting my time!
Still, managed to plug the hole in the filter and drive the motor up to fords to get a replacement filter. Changed it then and there at the dealers in the car park which took me all of 10 mins and then the motor turned over first time and has been ok ever since.
Great these genuine Ford parts are!

Edited by: Adge

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glad you got sorted in the end. I bet you could now change oil & fuel filters in under an hour. They're not so dauntingas Ford would have you think eh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts