Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new c-max. The screenwash reservoir is hidden from view and all that can be seen is the fill up nozzle with a blue flip cap.

After I have filled up the reservoir the fluid just sloshes out as I drive along, particularly when braking. Not only is this a waste of sreen wash fluid, but it saturates an electrical terminal block which is just below the fill up nozzle. This has not caused any ill effects yet but I am not at all happy with it.

My supposition is that the blue flip cap on the fill up nozzle should have some kind of washer inside it to stop this leakage, mine hasn't. I'd be very grateful if someone could have a look at their car and let me know what the fill upo nozzle is like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 54 plate cmax tdci.
the filler tube on mine is not part of the reservoir. if you undo the supporting bolts it pulls out!I fiorgot to put the blue cap down before i shut the bonnet and broke the hinge part off the tube, so had to replace it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'll check this on mine tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I live in a remote area of the NW highlands so its a long way to my Ford Dealer in Glasgow. I'm going down for the weekend so if there is something missing I can look in and see them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just checked mine and there's no washer or seal of any kind. I've filled mine to the brim before and it doesn't leak. Does yours click firmly in place, is the cap a tight fit?
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for that info.

My cap lip clicks shut but doesn't give a tight seal. I filled up the reservoir, taped a plastic bag over the filler nozzle and drove down to the village and back. The result was half a litre of washer fluid in the bag, it seems like a defective cap.

I've spoken to my maim dealer on the phone and their "helpful" advise is that it is not possible for fluid to leak from the cap, notwithstanding my telling them that it does.

The good news is that I have solved the problem, I have found by trial and error that the plasic lid of a one pint milk bottle will, with a little modification, exactly fit into the neck of the filler spout beneath the blue cap and provide a good seal. So I am going to let matters rest with that.

Thanks again for the trouble that you have taken.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'd be careful......if you have a tank of water and pump water out you're going to pull a vacuum inside it. I suspect that's why the OEM cap isn't a tight fit.....

If I were you, put your bonnet up, tape the bag to the top and fire the washer jets and see what happens.

There is no logical reason for water to escape out the top so I'd want to diagnose the problem rather than treat the symptoms.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought of that, but the jets seem to work properly with my fix in place and I cannot detect any inrush of air when I remove it.

As to the reason for the leaking, I effectively have a 4 litre container full of water and it naturally sloshes over the top as I drive, it is particularly noticeable, by the smell of screenwasher fluid, when I brake.

Really what I can't understand is why other people are not suffering from this "sloshing out" effect" if their blue cap is not a tight fit.

However many thanks for your help, and I'll try to keep an eye on the situation to check that things are working properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts