Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife has a 2006 C Max. 1.6TDi 5-speed. She had another irate driver tell her that her reverse lamps weren't working.

After narrowing down the bulbs (both OK) and the fuse in the main fuse box (also OK), I Googled for some answers. There are a few posts on the forums here with explanations on the reverse light switch. I couldn't find any with clear pictures though so hopefully this will help someone else.

If the bulbs and fuse are OK and your reversing lights don't work, then the chances are that the problem is the switch. The switch is located on the gearbox. In my case, on top of the gearbox. It is a relatively simple fix though.

Tools required:
Flat head screwdriver
22mm spanner (or set of vice grips)
patience

Parts needed:
Part number CM5Z-15520-B. In this case, £16 from a main Ford dealer:

The location of the switch is underneath the battery - at the top right of the engine bay in this photo. However, you don't need to remove the battery. Removing the air filter box (circled) will give you enough access.

There is a small, thick rubber band to pop off - visible at the bottom of the picture below.
You also need to disconnect the sensor cable and then the large hose from the air filter box.

Once you have removed the band, the hose and the sensor cable, you can lift the air filter box out. You may need to jiggle it slightly. There is nothing else securing the box but it is set into guide holes.
The picture below shows what it should look like with the air box gone. It took me a while to search around and find the reverse switch, so I have circled the area to look for.

If in doubt, look for cable that goes to the switch. There is a hose containing cables, the reverse light switch branches off the other cables as below. Battery is marked for reference:

Once you find the switch, pop the cable off the top of it. Again, if in doubt, this is right below the battery but you should be able to reach through and see the switch sticking up:

Take your spanner (or vice grips) and remove the switch. This took a bit of effort but once it unstuck, I could unscrew it by hand fairly easily.
Old switch alongside the shiny new switch:

Take the new switch, screw it in by hand, taking care to make sure it is in straight. Give it a tighten with the spanner and then pop the cable back on. The cable can only fit on one way.

You can then pop the air filter box back in, connect the sensor cable and hose again. You should be good to go.
Total time was probably about 40 minutes. But that was me taking my time and also searching around a bit for where the switch was located.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 54 plate Ghia cmax 2 weeks ago and had intermittent reverse light problems and thought it was the switch as I had the same problem with my old Scenic.

Your how to guide was perfect and had the job done in 15 minutes. The hardest part was cracking off the old switch.

I gave my self a bit more room by pulling the wiring loom off the bracket.

It's good to have guys like you helping us all do jobs that we might have considered to difficult.

Thank you very much.

Gav.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgive me for being stupid,I'm starting to get this problem but don't seem to be able to see the pictures, at the moment I can get away with sort of forcefully putting it into reverse, If I'm gentle it doesn't seem to make contact, it reverses but without the lights or aftermarket beeps from the parking sensors, If I give it a bit of a tug when selecting reverse, on can here a sensor beeps as it engages and lights come on fine, so suspect it's the switch which I have now found to be a common problem amongst all the Focus range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Even more strange, according to noscript, nothing was being blocked, but bupon coming back onto this thread all the pictures have suddenly appeared now, apologies for another post , but doesn't seem to be an edit button anywhere I can see once posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ordered mine

just ordered mine of euro parts ...
like the cmax but mines nothing but trouble at moment. so thanks to threads like this it makes life so much easier

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anybody know if it's situated in the same position on my 2007 face-lift 1.8 TDCI? Got the same problem. Checked the bulbs and the fuse can't be at fault because the electric mirrors work fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thankyou very much Neilw, spot on pictures for my car, had it out in about 20 mins, my socket set contained a deep 22mm socket so that bit was a breeze as well, would have struggled with my 22mm spanner though, nice post and very easy to follow, thanks again :):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Strange that you can't edit your own posts, one vital bit that took the longest was actually finding the right switch, you must have your engine code as well as your gearbox, there are so many different versions that fit each engine code but don't fit each different gearbox, your engine code is on your V5 inside the front page in section 4, part D.2 and is the first of the variants, e.g (G8DA) then to find out your gearbox, go to the Ford ETIS site and type in your reg or Vin. number and it should tell you which gearbox you have as well.

I got lucky for my bits as yesterday GSF sent through a 46% off weekend code so I paid about £8 for my switch :):)

·
Registered
53 Posts
A little bit off topic here as I hadn't realised the switch was in the engine bay.
Just about to fit a new radio with reversing camera on it which will need a feed from the reversing switch to get it to activate while reversing.

Does anyone know if there is a feed inside the car or do I need to feed a wire to this switch in engine bay?

Again sorry to original poster to slightly hijack this post

·
Registered
959 Posts
I suppose it depends where you are but in car parks etc, it's helpful to know when someone's about to reverse, before you see them move?

·
Registered
19 Posts
gerald is correct, reversing lights are not on the MOT, I had this confirmed to me last week when my wifes car was being done.

Brake lights are tested though

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info. I took mine out today and cleaned it. Used some WD40 on it and worked it for 20-30 times. Put it back in, and lights are now working ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts