Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I next go on holiday I'm thinking about temporarily removing the rear seats from the boot to add more boot space, so I don't have to use a roof box.

It looks fairly simple, just a few torx screws and unplugging the seatbelt sensor connector, but I'm not sure how the car's computer will deal with unplugging the seatbelt connector.

Has anyone removed the rear seats? Is it as simple as it looks?

It's a shame Ford didn't make them removable like the rear seats in the standard C-Max.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A belated response, as posted under 'Space Saver', I removed my rear (3rd row) seats today.

Easy job, just needs a T50 torx, 5 bolts to remove, then unplug seat belt warning mech. Seats lift out through the rear hatch, two locating pegs, so needs to be lifted up by 50mm or so before moving backwards.

Seat assembly is heavy, I dismantled mine (needs a T40 torx for some of the bolts) for storage in the loft.

On startup, computer whinges. Bell sounds, and display says 'Seatbelt service required', but this goes away once driving, reverts to trip computer display. If it comes to the worst, I've removed the seat belt warning stuff from the seat, will plug this back in and leave it in the boot if computer gets too upset. Expect Ford dealer could reprogram it to loose the rear 6th and 7th seats.

Took me an hour or so, not something I'd do on a regular basis. There's only two of us, plus two dogs, so kiddie seats not required. I just wanted a spacious powerful tug for my two berth Bailey 'van.

Will post some photo's, weather and time permitting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I made up a boot floor from 12mm exterior ply, sprayed it matt black. The floor is supported on 63mm wooden blocks (off cuts of studwork ), so that it sits flush and level, clears the spare wheel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Load space tray dropped back into place, lies flush with edge of floor at rear opening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bolted the rear seat belt sensor / latch assembly to the boot floor and plugged it back in. Seat belt warning message has now gone away.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Done a good job there Richard :cool:

The fake floors are not to difficult to make if anyone decides to give it a try. Its a bugger when you have to raise the floor to fit a normal tyre in though.

THREAD HIJACK (sorry Richard)

Manufacturers are to busy trying to cut costs etc.... That the simplest of things get penalized. A massive hole in the boot floor of the car to carry a stupid foam canister. Full size wheel or space saver? Who cares as long as there is one as STANDARD! shouldnt be an added extra. Not been funny but id rather have a spare tyre and a jack in the boot as standard rather than that extra 4/5'' or what ever it is worth of head room. The wife may not no how to change a tyre but hopefully a passer by would. Iv'e stopped to help people out many of times.

You can have all the head room in the world when your stood at the side of the road waiting for the AA man to come and sort your flat out. Don't think the wife and newborn child/kids will be best pleased on cold/rainy days!

·
Registered
68 Posts
As I understand it, the removal of spare wheels is little to do with space/headroom, and more to do with weight. By having no spare "as standard", the weight of the car, and hence emissions, is lower. If the customer specifies a spare after the fact, that doesn't negatively impact the manufacturers emissions targets...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
As I understand it, the removal of spare wheels is little to do with space/headroom, and more to do with weight. By having no spare "as standard", the weight of the car, and hence emissions, is lower. If the customer specifies a spare after the fact, that doesn't negatively impact the manufacturers emissions targets...
Think your right there fella..... Cheap to produce and put on the road which makes it more appealing to buyers. Any extras you decide to add later wont effect ford as it will have already been passed/inspected/graded according. I Found this on ford website:

"Not all Ford vehicles come with a spare wheel as standard (check with your Dealer for model availability).

If not, your vehicle will be supplied with a Tyre Mobility Kit, designed to quickly restore mobility in the event of a puncture. This not only frees up boot space, but it also means less weight to carry around, resulting in improved fuel economy and lower emissions. All which help reduce the running costs of your Ford and protect our environment. For added peace of mind, however, we do offer a spare wheel as a low cost option on most models or as a Dealer accessory. Your approved Ford Dealer will be happy to assist you".

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice job Richard, I have a two berth Bailey as well. To make more space in my C-max and to get rid of the extra weight, I have permanently removed the centre seat. To fill the gap and to keep anything in the boot, in the boot, I made up a board to fit across behind the other seats. It keeps everything hidden, as well and it looks quite neat. The load space is huge, especially when the remaining two seats are lifted out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rolo,
I have just taken the middle seat out of my cmax. It does leave quite a gap! How did you secure the board you used in your car? Is it attached to the two outer seats?
Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi Rolo,
I have just taken the middle seat out of my cmax. It does leave quite a gap! How did you secure the board you used in your car? Is it attached to the two outer seats?
Cheers
Tom
Hi Tom,
What I did was very straight forward, using MDF.
I measured out the height to the luggage cover and the width, behind the seats. Then made a template to shape the outer sides, so that it goes in behind the seats. I made two blocks and glued them onto the back to rest against the wheel arch shape on the outer top edges.
I would take a pic and show you but I broke my ankle just before Christmas so am not mobile enough.
Not content with the above, I poshed it up a bit. First I used a hole cutter to make the board lighter, then I covered the inside (cabin) with an offcut of ribbed carpet (looks quite neat) using a remaining piece to place between the two seats, thus covering the seat clamps, looks even neater.
On the side facing into the boot I put strong, screw hooks and secured them with bungee cords to the tie-down points in the boot.
It was originally made for my Nissan Tino but, when I changed to the C-max, I found that it fitted just as well. :)
I expect that you can picture this by now -- if not, let me know and I will take some pics when I get the plaster off in three weeks time. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice write up. Been looking at doing this to mine to get all the camping gear in the back. Time to break out the spanners, once it gets a bit drier and warmer :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Slightly puzzled here Rolo, on the original C Max there’s not much weight saving or extra space to be gained by removing the rear centre seat, especially if you then fill the gap with a board (something else to store somewhere when not in use?), unlike the later Grand C Max whereby removing the third row increases the load space considerably (great job by the way Richard).
Incidentally, how do you get a 2009 C Max on a 10 plate when ‘10’ wasn’t introduced until 1st March 2010? just curious lol

2009 1.8 TDCI Titanium

·
Registered
288 Posts
Slightly puzzled here Rolo, on the original C Max there’s not much weight saving or extra space to be gained by removing the rear centre seat, especially if you then fill the gap with a board (something else to store somewhere when not in use?), unlike the later Grand C Max whereby removing the third row increases the load space considerably (great job by the way Richard).
Incidentally, how do you get a 2009 C Max on a 10 plate when ‘10’ wasn’t introduced until 1st March 2010? just curious lol

2009 1.8 TDCI Titanium
Hi Sparkyman,
I'm no longer as young or fit as I used to be, to me the central seat seems heavy, I had a job lifting it out ;). The board goes across the car, behind the two outer seats. It does not have to be stored, it remains there. If we do not intend to carry passengers, when away with the caravan, I also remove one, or both, of the remaining rear seats.
I forgot to add, in my previous post, that having the board behind the seat makes it very difficult to reach the release levers to fold the remaining seats. I have solved this by putting some cord around the release lever and looping it under the seat belt. I put the loop over the seat belt guide on the top shoulder of the seat and then put the seat belt back into place.
Now for the next query. When I got my C-max (6 months old) it had been registered in June 2010. The new C-max was now on sale (didn't much like the American Humvee look, but each to their own ;)) we bought the Mk II model (2009 style) which we are happy with. I then joined the Forum and did not wish to confuse members by having a "10" C-max listed. :confused:
Oh dear! It's got me confused now.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi Rolo,
I know what you mean about lifting the rear seats out, back breaking task or what?, maybe that’s why the later C Max ones don’t come out and also why I haven’t bought one.
I’m on my second C Max, the first being a 54 plate 2.0 TDCI Ghia, 106,000 miles and apart from normal wear and tear items, I never had any problems, that is until some little *** in a Fiesta ST decided the re-style it !! (RIP)
I wouldn’t have a clue what to buy next, it’s such a great all rounder !!
Cheers
2009 1.8 TDCI Titanium

·
Registered
119 Posts
how pointless is a grand cmax? if u need more seats then great but where do u put ur stuff? er no where

·
Registered
102 Posts
how pointless is a grand cmax? if u need more seats then great but where do u put ur stuff? er no where
That argument could be levelled at many of the so called 'seven seater' MPVs on the market.

The GCM is (slightly) larger than the normal CM, so has more load space with the third row folded.

I bought my GCM for the sliding rear doors, having had three Citroen Berlingos with this (for me) invaluable feature. I also bought it with the firm intention of removing the third row at the earliest opportunity, as they are of no use to me.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
That argument could be levelled at many of the so called 'seven seater' MPVs on the market.

The GCM is (slightly) larger than the normal CM, so has more load space with the third row folded.

I bought my GCM for the sliding rear doors, having had three Citroen Berlingos with this (for me) invaluable feature. I also bought it with the firm intention of removing the third row at the earliest opportunity, as they are of no use to me.
think if I wanted / needed 7 (or more) seats I'd have gone for a "crew bus" style conversion of something like the Transit or similar. The Merc Vito always looked good to me
Mercedes-Benz UK - Overview - Wide range of variants and flexibility

Mercedes-Benz UK - Overview - Wide range of variants and flexibility

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to say I find it really practical in 6 seat configuration (2nd row centre folded away). Ok the second and third row legroom is compromised but we have had a few extended family trips including a weekend away. If you really need the extra luggage space a roof box is an option.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts