Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who's done their rear brake change had any problems with removing the handbrake acable from the caliper

Or is there enough slack in everything to leve it in place?

I've got my rears to do soon
I had the adaptor (18) from Sykes Pickavant over the phone in case anybody else can't find a stockist

·
Registered
336 Posts
Plently of slack on the EPB version Richard well enough to remove it and lay it on the ground whilst i connected my patented gclamp and molegrip gizmo

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Job done and without removing the handbrake cable
I certanly don't think I'd contemplate it without the proper caliper wind back tool. The second one only took me ½ hour to do and that included getting all the muck off the edges of the disc

I can confirm that adaptor 18 that everyone similarly identifies does the job. Mine was from sykes Pickavant (over the phone) bur Laser do it as well

Does anybody have rear pad wear indicators with their level of trim because I had pad wear indicator pads in (as the car was bought 18 months ago)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Richard,
Can you tell me what adapter 18 is and how much it cost? I need to do my wife's CMax rear pads soon and was going to get a cub towind backthe caliper piston. I have done the the rear's on my 04 Mondeo and I did not need to remove the hand brake cable. I have used an alan key to wind back the caliper but I believe that I cannot use one on the CMax and that is why I was thinking of getting a cube.
On the Mondeo, I had to wind back the calipers - one clockwise and one anticlockwise. Is that the same for the CMAX?
Yourhelp would be great!

Thank You
Max

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the Laser Tools version
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=518&item=3791

This is the contact for Sykes
http://www.sptools.co.uk/About/Contact/tabid/98/Default.aspx
You can order the adapter over the phone and they'll post it. The Sykes on is a little more thatn the Laser but I've known the Sykes name longer but on getting it they look just the same

this is the version of the wind back tool I have though it wasn't that much when I got it
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=8689

The rear pads even from Ford are about £42 (Halford wanted more thatn £50!!! for mine)

You only need to wind everything back clockwise

If you've done Ford calipers before you presumably have the 7mm allen key to take the sleeve bolts out already

The only thing else to consider is how you are going to get just enough slack from the caliper piston to get the caliper off the pads themselves (especially if there is a slight ridge to the edge of the disc itself). I found I had to use a large G clamp just to get everything moving. There is little space or anything substantial enough against which to lever to do otherwise

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you for your quick/imformative reply.
So the adaptor that comes with the Sealey tool was not good for the Cmax and had to buy another adapter to do the job?
The Cube I was on about is one of these used with a wrench and press in:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-52334-rear-caliper-wind/dp/B0001K9V0E

The Sealey tool is about £21 from Halfords but I was worried because it only winds back clockwise and I assumed that the CMax is the same as the Mondeo (one side clockwise and the other side anticlockwise). You have just confirmed that the Cmax rear calipers need to bewinded back clockwise at both sides.

Regardingremoving the caliper and slide the pads out - I normally grind the lip on the disk with an angle grinder and remove the lip off the disk completely. At most cases I have replaced the disk anyway.

once again thanks for your help.

Max

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless Drape have improved their material quality controlin recent yeas I just wouldn't trust them as I've had them give way at the most inappropriate moment

I don't mean that everyone has to buy "Snap On" which are garage proffessional but there are other brands such as Sykes. I haven't tried Laser yet and wait to see any reports

1 - 7 of 7 Posts