Ford C-Max Forum banner

Rear wheels rumbling noise - solved.

12K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Oneballpaul89 
#1 ·
Rear wheels rumbling noise FINALLY solved.

I would like to share my issue with a rumbling noise coming from the rear wheels of my 2012 Ford C-Max Titanium 1.6 TDCI.

I have been hearing a rumbling noise coming from the rear wheels of my C-max, at first I changed the tyre pressure, but the noise was still there and decided to just turn the radio up!

But, this I thought won't do And decided it must be wheel bearings???
I also noticed that the tyre wear of the treads was uneven. Looking at the tyre Side on you could easily see the tyre tread pattern in places was higher and lower around the tyre. Basically tale tale sign of uneven ware.

On a trip to the tyre shop with my other car I asked one of the fitters my findings, thinking they see this thing all the time? The fitter mentioned possible worn shocks??

By now my findings are either bearings or suspension related issue?

So I decided to take it back to the dealer, to get it seen, plus I had 3year extended warranty., lets make use of it. ( but was afraid it was not covered and would end up with expensive garage costs for spending time on it investigating).

So what was it?....

BUSHES , yep on a 4 year old 36k miles, the rear bushes were worn and split.
As a result, wearing the tyres unevenly and causing the tyres to make a rumbling sound.

DOWNSIDE tyres are shot and need replacing. GOODYEAR's! Are expensive

UPSIDE ford protect warranty covered the replacement and fitting of new rear suspension bushes.

Causes to why the bushes failed? Very common I am told, but it's down to the poor uk road conditions.

My thanks goes to the fitter at Cabot tyres , who was right to think it was a suspension related issue. Plus my service from the dealer, Trust ford very helpful. Plus the courtesy car fiesta ecoboost (amazing engine by the way) provided.

Any suggestions on alternative tyre choice? Any real need to go premium?

Thanks for reading , I hope this helps someone with similar issues.

See less See more
#4 ·
Glad you got it sorted. I used to get the split bushes warning when I had mine serviced and just thought it was the dealer drumming up business.

For tyres I found Michelin were by far the best in terms of wear and longevity. But they are the most expensive so for a cheaper brand Hankook seem to get very good reviews. I think they may also be OEM on some Fords.

#5 ·
guys is there a bushes too in the front passenger side because it might me this one that causing a noise in my car too, wel its not rumbling or squeeky but its like more of a sound from a trumpet, im getting this sound most of the time when im about to start moving the car from standstill especially during uphill start, im getting the sound from the moment the wheels start to roll (i got the clutch bite and slowly releasing it ) the sound is very short as it will disappear when the car is moving, i think its only when there is a strain on the wheels when doing that uphill start

#10 ·
Rear wheels rumbling noise FINALLY solved.

I would like to share my issue with a rumbling noise coming from the rear wheels of my 2012 Ford C-Max Titanium 1.6 TDCI.

I have been hearing a rumbling noise coming from the rear wheels of my C-max, at first I changed the tyre pressure, but the noise was still there and decided to just turn the radio up!

But, this I thought won't do And decided it must be wheel bearings???
I also noticed that the tyre wear of the treads was uneven. Looking at the tyre Side on you could easily see the tyre tread pattern in places was higher and lower around the tyre. Basically tale tale sign of uneven ware.

On a trip to the tyre shop with my other car I asked one of the fitters my findings, thinking they see this thing all the time? The fitter mentioned possible worn shocks??

By now my findings are either bearings or suspension related issue?

So I decided to take it back to the dealer, to get it seen, plus I had 3year extended warranty., lets make use of it. ( but was afraid it was not covered and would end up with expensive garage costs for spending time on it investigating).

So what was it?....

BUSHES , yep on a 4 year old 36k miles, the rear bushes were worn and split.
As a result, wearing the tyres unevenly and causing the tyres to make a rumbling sound.

DOWNSIDE tyres are shot and need replacing. GOODYEAR's! Are expensive

UPSIDE ford protect warranty covered the replacement and fitting of new rear suspension bushes.

Causes to why the bushes failed? Very common I am told, but it's down to the poor uk road conditions.

My thanks goes to the fitter at Cabot tyres , who was right to think it was a suspension related issue. Plus my service from the dealer, Trust ford very helpful. Plus the courtesy car fiesta ecoboost (amazing engine by the way) provided.

Any suggestions on alternative tyre choice? Any real need to go premium?

Thanks for reading , I hope this helps someone with similar issues.
This helps but which bushes are they as when I'm driving along sounds like a swishing sound on driving on the motorway at 70mph. I've also noticed when braking it started to jitter any help would be great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.