Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '04 2.0l TDCI Zetec and want to report a problem I've had which is hopefully now sorted. For some months I had what sounded a bit like a wheel bearing growl with a beat relating to road speed, coming from the rear near side. It was loadest around 40mphbut was lost amongst the other road noise once over 50. Wheel bearing? Brakes? I asked my local independant garage to investigate.

He discovered abnormal tyre wear on both rear tyres - the middle part of the tread was frettingwith its edges breaking away. After discussions with Ford technical support, he replaced the shocks and tyres and it seems to have solved the problem. He fitted an uprated Monroe - cheaper than straight Ford replacements!. Now nice and quiet and road holding much improved (this must have slowly deteriorated without me noticing).
I do tow a small caravan (well within the 85% weight guidance) - this was suggested as a possible reason.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Extra weight and sideways movement are possible additional problems to rear end movement and accelerated wear of everything. There is often a suggestion of uprated rear springs as well

It might be an idea to check any tie bars, panhard tods etc and that all their rubber joints have not worn excessively as well which could have just caused enough extra movement to give the problem

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Richard for the sound advice. Although I'm careful to check the caravan nose weight, you're right that whateverthe abnormal forces were that caused the deterioration had to travel via the links and bushes to the axle/wheels. I'll have a crawl underneath to check (just in case the garage didn't!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts