Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi Everyone, need some help, or advice.
Have got a 53 2.0 tdci with 60k on the clock.
Have just started to get an horrible noise from the rear of the car. It appears to be coming from the area of the rear drivers side wheel. I can only describe it as a " low moaning " type of noise. Touch the brakes, and the noise level raises, then stops. It definitely sounds like metal on metal.
My local garage have had all four wheels off, and can find nothing wrong. They have checked the wheel bearings, and all appear to be okay. The hubs are not running hot.
The rear brake pads were changed last August, and have very little wear on them. The front pads are down by about two thirds, but still well within limits.
Am now at a loss as what to look at next. Don't want to do any long runs until I've sorted it. Noise not there when car is cold, start getting it after about 20 miles, which made me suspect the wheel bearings.
Help !!!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Is there perhaps a build up of brake dust / rust on the area of the disc not normally rubbed by the pads?

that the noise changes when the pads are applied suggests this is where to look

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for tip. I have to park on a slope where I live, so a bit iffy jacking the car up to remove the wheels. Got my trusty pressure washer out, and blasted everywhere all around the brake area on both rear wheels. Attacked it from both sides, and right under the car. Hopefully that has now cleaned any debris out. Only had a local run since, so will try for a longer run later in the week, and see if noise reappears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts