Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here.

Purchased a 2004 C-Max 2.0 TDI a couple of months ago.

I have noticed that over the last week that there is a knocking/rattle from the rear. It sounds like the rear bumper is loose. It seems to be attached OK but rattle if I tap the corners.

Does anyone else have problems with their bumpers?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi!
Not had that problem myself though I know that when I hand clean the car, the bumper does have some give which is normal.
Have you checked the obvious, like everything is secure in the boot i.e spare wheel, locking wheel nut socket etc as that may be where it it is.
Looking deeper, it could be the exhaust at the rear that might have become loose from the bracket.

Check them and if not then we'll have ahead scratch together!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi lawe, thanks for the reply.

I've emptied the boot including anything that can be removed. I had a good look under the car as well, nothing seems loose.

The only thing it could be is the wheel arch insets that join the bumper. I think my next move is to remove the rear wheels and look at them. There is some play is the bumper, but I think this is normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There should be some "flex" in the bumper as you push it in.
Does this knocking happen when going over a bumpy or uneven road or just when you normally drive?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Funny thing - I have the same rattle.
 Have also tightened everything down but that made no difference.  Thought it may be fog light as that is looose but I fixed it and it still rattles.  I took it into local exhaust centre.  They had look underneath and suggested and fiddled with some heat protection thingy - it still rattles everytime I go over bumps/bumpy surfaces.
 Am now wondering if it could be a baffle in the silencer.  I'm beginning to be obsessed

My car is 05 2.0ltr TDi Ghia.  Is  this a common problem.  Has anyone got/had same thing and fixed it?

Grateful for any other suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just another thought,
I have a 54 2.0 TDCI Ghia but no rattle... yet

Wonder if the rear spoiler might have anything to do with it?
Otherwise hunch would still be with the exhaust mountings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts