1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Grand C-Max Titanium (Registered 31/3/11) for
nearly 2 months and overall am very pleased with it. There is however a very
annoying rattle which appears to come from the rear sliding doors, whenever you
go over a very slightly uneven surface and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. The car was purchased from Motorpoint
about an hours drive away, so I've not approached them, but does anybody know
if this would be covered by the warranty and can I just go to the local Ford
Dealer to get it sorted? Failing that, if you pull the doors inwards, it
appears to cure the problem - so is possible to tighten the locking mechanism
yourself?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi KenHL,

I know this may sound a bit too simple but, have you put the safety belt tongue into the slot by the top of the seat?
This could be the same noise I kept getting that first sounded as if the door was not closed properly, then as it kept sounding in my ear while driving. By putting the belt tongue in the slot the problem went away. It will also stop the belt from getting trapped in the door so the benefits are two fold.
It may sound too simple, but what have you got to lose?

Hope it helps

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I had exactly the sale problem, after much messing about, getting the wife to apply pressure to the doors whilst I drove etc, it turned out to be the middle row centre seat. It has no vibration pads where it rests on a plastic lip of the left side seat. A couple of adhesive felt pads and the problem went away. The sound was being reflected making it appear to come from the left sliding door, I am sure this is your problem, or one of them. John
Edited by: johndle

·
Registered
183 Posts
I guess we are not going to find-out what the problem was/is

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your replies. Sorry not to have acknowledged your responses earlier but I have only today had the chance to check it out. Unfortunately it has not resolved the problem. Gazza-CH – I'm not sure exactly what you mean – in the manual it does say “When in use, the rear seat belts should be placed in the belt guides on the outboard seatbacks.â€, but I think this may only apply to the C-Max and not the Grand C-Max since there are no belt guides on mine. I still believe it's a movement in the rear door because if I place a piece of foam between the closing door and the door pillar it seems to cure the problem.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
KenHL said:
I've had my Grand C-Max Titanium (Registered 31/3/11) for nearly 2 months and overall am very pleased with it. There is however a very annoying rattle which appears to come from the rear sliding doors, whenever you go over a very slightly uneven surface and wondered if anyone else has experienced this. The car was purchased from Motorpoint about an hours drive away, so I've not approached them, but does anybody know if this would be covered by the warranty and can I just go to the local Ford Dealer to get it sorted? Failing that, if you pull the doors inwards, it appears to cure the problem - so is possible to tighten the locking mechanism yourself?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Irrespective of Warranty with you having had it less than 6 months the Sale of Goods Act applies in repect of having a fault corrected
As part of this implies any repairs are done so as not to inconvenience you Motorpoint may allow you to deal with the local Fraud dealer. You need to contact both of them to check

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi KenHL,
If you look at my signature I own a Grand C-Max and that is is the model I was referring too.
Level with the top of the seat back near to the door, is a small hole7slot and this is where you should put the tongue of the seatbelt into to stop it sliding around. I was shown this by my dealer as he pointed out the risk of the belt becoming trapped in the door otherwise. It should have been pointed out to you at the time of purchase as it is important to know You can see the slot on the left in this image.
http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/van/163_1010_2012_ford_c_max/photo_24.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gazza-CH,Sorry - I now see what you mean. I'll certainly try it out, but I'm fairly convinced it's a door problem.
Richard- thanks for your contribution. I'll look into that too.
RegardsKen

·
Registered
183 Posts
No probs'

I actually was convinced I had a door problem, but that's what it was. I would have felt a bit stupid if I had gone to have that "sorted out" especially as he had explained it to me as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi KenHL,

Did you solve the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both my rear sliding doors rattle depending on the temperature and weather...Sounds like an old Transit van!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Gazza-CH

Yes I did.I also had a problem with the DAB radio which stopped working and this prompted me to to go to the local dealer. They sorted out the rattles - which I think were the rear doors - but I'm still waiting for a replacement radio. The car is due to go in this week so I'll try and find out exactly what caused the rattles and post back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the cmax but I too have a rattle that is getting worse (in a way that's good because there may be some hope of finding it) I think mine may be coming from the door and I am interested in what you say re temperature because I have a couple of other creaks which I am sure vary with the temperature.Forall the faults with my astra the one thingit didn't have was rattlesand the c maxones are driving me to distraction now. It goes in next Wed so hopefullythey will find the cause.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try removing the plastic covers with the no step sticker on the sliding door bottom hinge/slide as they rattle when the door is closed and the noise travels up the b pillar

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have joined the forum as your discussions on the rattle came up when I Googled the subject!

I am the proud owner of a Grand C-Max registered April 2011. I have owned since mid-November. I am very pleased with the car apart from the rattles that have driven me to distraction!

I did take it back to the dealer and under the warranty they investigated and decided to change the seat belt height adjuster in the b-pillar as the rattle seemed to be right by my ear. All was quiet for a couple of weeks and then it started again. I now realise that it was because I hadn't opened the rear door for a couple of weeks and it was seated nicely and not rattling! I have returned to the dealer and the technician came out in the car with me and he sat in the back to listen more closely. He has determined the rattle comes from the door and I have it booked in to be stripped down and all fixings checked and tightened.

I thank you all for the other suggestions and will be taking these findings along to the dealer on 13th February when they will carry out their investigations. If they can check all your suggestions and maybe find anything else themselves I may be able to have a rattle-free journey every day! I live in hope!

I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have this issue on the rear passenger sliding door of my Grand C-Max. Sometimes it appears to disappear for a few days, then just as you start to forget about it, it returns.When it's present and you close the door, it doesn't sound like a clean shut (if you know what I mean), sort of rattly, not a solid shut like the drivers side.I have tried folding the middle seat up all together and it is still there so it is not the problem taht the OP posted about.It is also there regardless of whether there is a passenger in the rear passenger side seat. So not a seat belt rattle.Hopefully it will be identified as a general issue and dealers will soon know about it and have a quick fix.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tony C i would really like to know the outcome of your 'ear rattle' because I have developed one there in my c Max. I took the car in yesterday to have piece of facia pushed in properly, mud flap fixed properly, wipers looked at (smear and at night with lights shining through it is awful) and last but least the rattles which seem to be increasing by number daily the right hand side drivers ear being the latest - for the rattles I gave them some clues as to what i thought they might be. The garage immediately got defensive and said if they had to make any adjusments to anything there would be a charge. I said they were not to do anything that required a charge and I would be extremely angry give the price paid if all items weren't fixed. It's a bit tricky as it is not the garage I got if from. Any way went to collect, gave me no paperwork for what had been done so on a wing and a prayer I was hopeful. Huh, wipers can't tell until a wet night but with windscreen washer not convinced they are any different, facisia and mudflap done. Rattles where they are just as they were when I left it. So tomorrow I need to find out whether they didn't bother because I wouldn't pay or whether they are failed. Really fed up as took a day off work for the job to be done and had to call in a couple of lifts there and back. As far as I can tell they have made no effort. One of the rattles that I pointed out where it was from, plastic is still lose and a bit of cardboard stuffed down it stops it. I've had a difficult week and am in no mood for rubbish service sometimes I just wished people would get on with things and make my life easier. Even if they had said we think we have fixed it but come back if we haven't. Does anyone know where I stand under warranty for rattles had car early November.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Suzi, sorry about your rattle woes, I sorted my sliding door rattles out myself with some sticky felt pads, no rattles for 2'000 miles now.I notice you have mudflaps fitted, do they prevent the back of the car becoming coated in filth at the first sign of rain?
Kind regards John

·
Registered
3 Posts
johndle said:
Hi Suzi, sorry about your rattle woes, I sorted my sliding door rattles out myself with some sticky felt pads, no rattles for 2'000 miles now.I notice you have mudflaps fitted, do they prevent the back of the car becoming coated in filth at the first sign of rain?
Kind regards John
Hi JohnWhere abouts did you stick the felt pads? May give it a try until my service is due.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, along the bottom inside lip of the two black receivers on the door pillar ( Ford have fitted anti rattle rubbers to the sides of the receivers but not top and bottom!!! ) where the sliding door engages, the doors are set a little low, and over bumps the two black lugs on the door face, rattle on the bottom of the receivers causing a rattle which travels up the door pillar and exits in the passengers/drivers ear, also check the centre seat as this also rattles where it rests on its support. Both scenarios are easily cured at home, then sorted at first service.We could perhaps make this post a sticky, as, the subject is cropping up on a regular basis, and according to my dealer a common fault.

Kind regards John.
Edited by: johndle

1 - 20 of 31 Posts