Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I received the results of the inspection this morning, it having been carried out yesterday.

For ref, the car is Sept 2004 registered with 32k on the clock.

The main findings are:

Slight leak from the steering rack
Corroded & worn front discs
Slight oil leak from the upper engine area
Split bush on the near side rear lower suspension arm

Everything else is niff naff and trivia for a 5 year old car.
Do any the above items cause you to really cringe or are they pretty standard faults for a C Max?

I have had quotes for the steering rack and it could be repaired for about £140 and replaced with a Ford part for approx £450. I negotiated the final price accordingly.

Discs are £35 a pop and easily sorted myself, but is there anything underlying that may have caused these issues?

Any comments/advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Steve

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I suggest that any fault concerning leaks from the steering rack is / could be VERY expensive and could possibly require the whole rack to be changed. Did the £450 include the labour or just the rack itself?

(leaks are an MOT failure) For our previous Focus 18 months ago it was going to be £700 plus I think it was

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thats gonna hurt....

Just had mine MOT'd so no problems with leaks for me....... yet, but mines on just three years old, but has done 41500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The £450 is including labour and is a quote from an MOT station. They agree it could well be an MOT failure, but not guaranteed.

The seller has no oil marks on his driveway and the power steering reservoir has not lost fluid (confirmed by the RAC man) so it must be only a slight leak.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but if I can get it repaired for about £150 I'm not too bothered and I did negotiate the the price with this in mind.

The MOT is not due till late September, I'll get it to the aforementioned garage for a check well before that to ensure a Test pass.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As I don't think there is anything against having an MOT done early, how about getting the seller to have it done before you buy and if everything is OK you'll pay for it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm, it does sound like it would be a good idea, and if it wasn't so far down the line I would go with that. Trouble is we've kinda agreed the sale now, if it was a dealer I wouldn't mind going back with that. The guy is only selling as he's been made redundant...

I know its a case of every man for himself these days, but he seems genuine and gutted to have lost his job. I'd feel like $h1£ to mess him around now. I've got too much of a conscience!

Thanks for the feedback and ideas though

Cheers
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts