Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi went to change the bulbs in the puddle lights to leds but found that there sealed units ?
i've read that some have changed theirs to leds, did ford change them on later models so the bulbs could be changed anyone know

sorry forgot to say i've got an 04 ghiaEdited by: jase1971

·
Registered
615 Posts
There a sealed unit you cant change the bulbs i have tryed and when the unit breaks like mine did you need to then buy the complete unit. I would not bother messing with them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I rang Ford this morning and the reply was 'We don't know, you'll have to bring the car in'

It seems a bit silly if you can't get access to the bulb...
unless they can guarentee that the bulb will out last the life of the car.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
you dont need to take it to ford i can tell you now there a sealed unit. I know as I have taken one apart and they break they are not made to come apart they are a sealed unit. If it break you but a new light unit i know that also as i have had to buy one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Must have changed on the later models, my manual says "carefully prise out the lamp assembly at the outer edge and pull it out".

·
Registered
163 Posts
My manual shows a different arrangement to what I actually have fitted.
The 'puddle lights' are called 'approach lights' and are clearly shown having replacable bulbs. My lights are sealed units, no way of getting into them. Hope they last but would have to replace a spent one as we find them very useful. (unlike the footwell lights which I have disabled, what are they about??)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I took my light apart sorry let me get it right i tryed to take my light apart and it just broke. I had to buy a new one as a result. Mine are sealed and theres no way you will get it open unless you brake it open.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Strange thing is, once you destroy the puddle lamp by prising it apart you can change the bulb!

It's a bog standard 30p thing from Halfords!

But the sealed unit is close on £20 a go!!!

Thanks you Ford!!!!

The Foundation Of Ridiculous Design

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Had chance to look through the owners manual for my car and it just tells you about the "approach lamps" but nothing else. Even the TIS DVD only mentions it but no instructions on how to replace the bulb.
Then while trawling around the net, I found back on this site (
), a cmax owners manual with better and clear ('ish) information on how to replace it:

So, the question is, did they fit a "version 2" to later C-Max's or will these instructions work for those earlier models that have it fitted?

In the words of Harry Hill "There's only one way to find out....."

But that will have to wait until tomorrow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi lawe did you have a chance to find out if they fitted a version 2 as i've been quoted £27 by frauds for 1 light !! (a sealed one)
they said they can't tell me if you can change the bulbs on later models without a reg number

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Not yet I'm afraid, playing catch up in the garden before I loose it!!
Will try and have look later or tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
did anyone find a cheaper version of this bulb or a way of removing the bulb cos mine has gone ford have quoted me like £40

·
Registered
7 Posts
will drop them a quick email and let you guys know the out come, looking on the net it looks like i will have to goe it from ford

1 - 14 of 14 Posts