Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just changed the wheels on my Grand CMax (19 plate) for my Winter Tyres on Steel Rims. I did this for years on my previous 61-plate Grand CMax without a problem. I am now getting tyre pressure system warnings that I can't switch off. I assume the system changed from using wheel rotation to in-wheel sensors. Is there a way to disable the system so I don't get the continuous warnings? I can't see anything in the Settings!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Westy,
From time to time my TPM warning light shows up - for no apparent reason.I have exactly the same with my VW Touran .

Going to SETTINGS on the steering wheel press OK . Go to DRIVER ASSIST press OK.
Go to TIRE MONITER press and hold OK.
My manual tells me that, alternatively, you may have a dedicated TPM re-set button.
This should turn your light off. It won't disable the system, merely re-set it.
If you really cannot permanently shut the warning light down, then this will probably be something to do with the new tire circumference, in which case, I would say -
A . Live with the light, until you replace your winter tires
B. You will have to get the system either disabled or adjusted - by means of professional diagnostics.
Let the forum know the outcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to SETTINGS on the steering wheel press OK . Go to DRIVER ASSIST press OK.
Go to TIRE MONITER press and hold OK.
Just to be clear I am familiar with the 'OK to reset' - I always had to do this when swapping wheels to learn the new parameters. i now have an Orange warning about the system itself that always beeps when switching on and stays as a warning light. I did once see a message something like 'cannot connect to sensors' which made me think the system had changed from the old rotation system (which actually seemed to work pretty well apart from giving no hint where to look).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Westy,
If this orange warning light showed up as soon as you made your tyre change, then it's to do with the new tyres . If the orange light showed up some time after the event - then you would think that this is a problem, not associated with the new tyres.
If you've had a failure to connect message, then you might check all the wires going to each wheel hub, but it's probably not going to be so straightforward, and you will need to get it scanned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Westy,
If this orange warning light showed up as soon as you made your tyre change,
Note that I have not changed the tyres, I have changed the wheels and tyres and the warning followed this change. I can understand a warning if it can't contact the sensors any more but there really should be a mechanism to allow you to put your own wheels on!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Westy, you've changed the wheel and the tyre - setting off the dashboard notification. I'm a little out of my depth here, but I will hazard a guess here and think that your new tyre has a different circumference, and that is the problem - the system is set up for a certain circumference and any change will bring complications.
You're probably not going to want to hear this, because you've already bought your winter tyres - but have you considered all climate tyres to go on your alloys ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
A quick google seems to suggest that the tyre pressure sensors on these cars are attached to the valve in the wheel so putting different steel wheels on the car with whatever tyres you like will set off the alarm because its getting no readings from any of the 4 in valve sensors.
I suggest if I am correct you will need to buy 4 sensors for your steel wheels if you want to loose the pressure dash light.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You need to buy a set of TPMS sensors for your car and have them fitted to your steel rims. There are a few different types available so you will have to get ones that are compatible for your car. Then you will need to get them coded to the car. Some cars will recognise the new sensors just from the wheels rotating a few times, others need to be programmed (which will mean re-programming once your other wheels go back on). A quick Google suggests you can make the car relearn the sensors without special tools (by following a specific procedure). Any procedures will almost certainly be the same as the same year Focus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - All sorted. I got a set of four TPMS sensors from eBay for £25 which was alarmingly cheap. My mobile tyre fitter installed them for £15/wheel (obviously requires remove/replace tyre and a re-balance). No special coding was required - I applied the usual 'learn' sequence from Driver Assist and now all the warnings have gone away. I was nervous about the sensors being unreasonably cheap but they did the job. I hope that reassures anyone in the same position that the 3rd party components seem to be fine. I think it was news to my tyre fitter!

I suspect this is a big issue waiting to happen. These sensors have been mandatory in the UK since 2014 and the batteries last '5-7 years' which means a lot of them will start popping off and folks won't even know they have them.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts