Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently privately purchased (Dec 2018) my first Powershift on a 2012 2.0 Tdci 70000 miles and was very disappointed with the performance when warmed up.
The changes were very harsh and there was a constant fluctuating of around 350rpms that had not been present when test driving cold. The seller wasn’t interested as ‘sold as seen!
The local Ford dealer advised a replacement g/box as cheapest option!
I took a huge gamble and had g/box oil and filter change (£300) as no record of it being done previously and relearnt box - what a difference lovely and smooth and no more rev fluctuations.
Not a cheap gamble but cheaper than a new box!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know someone who works in the motor trade and they said that the number of people that gamble on both Powershift and DSG gearboxes by not getting the oil changed when stated is massive. It's an expensive job which puts people off getting the work done. They also work with the mentality of 'it's working fine, why should I bother?'.
I got mine changed at just over 3 years. I had no issue but wasn't willing to risk destroying the gearbox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the tech details I’m afraid someone better versed will need to answer.
I can tell you however auto box with sports mode (later changes) and a manual mode controlled by up/down movement of the gear lever.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sometimes these auto boxes override you with full gas pedal and change late despite manual input .

·
Registered
376 Posts
Powershift is a form of dual clutch gearbox I believe and also referred to as a semi automatic as the gears are electronically changed. Its very smooth, mine is anyway, but more complicated compared to a manual and expensive to repair or replace. You can manually change in sport mode and it will change down on kickdown. They also need oil changes every 3 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What type of auto is powershift ?
As above. It's a dual clutch gearbox. Design is very similar to a DSG. Two clutches, each handling either odd or even gears. Computer controlled and generally very good.
I had my oil changed at just over 3 years. As said above, not worth the gamble with not doing the gearbox oil change.
Ford did produce a dry powershift box that they put in the fiesta for a bit but I believe it was a bit of a failure.
I've noticed that in the new Ford's (2019) they have gone back to a torque converter box but with 8 speed transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting update!
Bad news and good news. Gradually the initial fault returned however had to use a different garage for the MOT this October and had both engine and transmission oils & filters changed again. I queried the total of £270 since it seemed low compared with previous bills for the same and was astounded at their reply - price was correct but apparently the gearbox filter has never been replaced before only ‘cleaned’. I don’t know how they came to this conclusion but looking through the old bills I have never been charged for a transmission filter so they appear to be correct. The car has since driven like a totally different vehicle including a 700 mile trip in 1 day and 3x trips towing the caravan.
Fingers crossed for result at last!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts