Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We owned a C max for over a year now. My wife drives it for short distances and it is a 2005 1.6 Petrol Zetec which replaced the 1995 Ghia Fiesta. It is a great car very roomy and great if you have kids. We both drive it and we both really like it. I must admit it is a little under powered and does not compare with my Mondeo Ghia TDCI, but we do not mind as we only use it for shopping and short distance drives.

Last month we had a problem as the power steering packed up and splattered all the fluid out on the engine. My local garage that we have used for years, repaired the problem at an expensive cost. Including VAT we paid £750 as the pump and pressure pipe had to be replaced. They fitted a new set of AUX belts as well as the old ones where contaminated with power steering fluid. We could only find an original Pump and in just FORD parts we paid
£500 plus £150 labour plus VAT.

Did anyone out there have had any problems with the power steering on Focus / C MAX? I believe that there are issues with the electric pumps but ours is belt driven with a fluid reservoir.

The average fuel consumption is 33 MPG - Is this good or bad?

MAX

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ahh that certainly answers a question i had. I have the 2.0 tdci which has an electric pump in the drivers side wing. Somebody said that they were being told that there cmax had an auxillary driven pump so it sounds like some of these cars have traditional power steering. As to the mpg I cant comment sounds like what other petrol owners have said though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Agree Lazyb, I think the 1.6 petrol has a standard hydraulic setup (with the pump driven directly from the engine), whereas other models have electro-hydraulic PAS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there.

Our power steering developeda fault a month or so ago whilst on holiday in Devon. It turned out to be a spilt feed pipe and Blights Motors in Bideford carried out the repair which consisted of replacing the PAS pipes and cooler (these had to be changed together as the unions had been modified since), refilling the system, bleeding and testing. The repair was done swiftly at a cost of £260.

Thanks,

Howie

·
Registered
28 Posts
ours has just failed,awful noise whilst the wife was driving it and a load of fluid on the floor,turned out a split pipe,as above they replaced all the belts,oil etc and cost £263 at a main dealer.not exactly happy as the car has done 17,000 miles although it is an 05 plate.
33 mpg is about what ours does which isnt great in my opinion for a 1.6.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same as ours then, but the pump needed replacing aswell.

Does yours makes a noise when you turn the steering to full lock? Ours make a noise when we turn the steering wheel to full lock both left and right. it made this noise even before the pump was replaced. I had a world with the garage and they said that it is common to get a noise from power steering pumps.

MAX

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
at full lock the pump is still trying to move the rack but can't beause it's reached the end of it's travel so you get the noise of the pump against increasing restance

It's not good to hold at full lock any longer than necessary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts