Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I have a 2010 cmax 1.6 diesel and i have an intermittent loss of power steering when i start the engine.
After a few seconds it comes back, but on Saturday night i had a message on the display saying steering malfunction, would you think it's the power steering motor playing up. The car has only done 40,000 miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Andrew, i was about to start my own thread on this problem but i see you have similar issues as myself tho i also noticed you don't have any replies, did you fix it? What was the cause and how was it solved if i may ask? I'm at a total loss what is the cause of my EPS failing, the car has been checked 2 times, 2nd by a Ford technician and both failed to find a definitive answer, apart from "change the ECU and/or the steering motor/rack" both very expensive items to change on a whim! For anyone else who happens to read this thread, here are my symptoms..... Battery light is on and steering failure (Steering assist failure on dash), nothing else, everything works ok! The usual suspects changed, new Silver Calcium replacement battery (nothing wrong with the old one), replaced alternator with OEM alternator (nothing wrong with the original), i have a Voltage reading of 13.8v at idle, 13.2v with everything turned on at idle, 13.8v when revved, it's enough to charge the battery but not 14.4v needed to turn off the battery light, which i believe is affecting the ESP. I've connected with jump leads from a running Focus at 14.4v to try and fool the BMS but to no avail, the Cmax end is still 13.8v????? Somehow i need to raise the output v to 14.4v to turn off battery light, 2x auto technicians have failed to find the issue apart from the above recommendation (ECU or EPS Motor), there are no fault codes showing either apparently, I've Googled til i have panda eyes and found many related problem solving tips, Fuses 22 BMS 12,36 and 38 for ECU and 40 in the passenger footwell, all ok.The BMS sensor bypassed and replaced, you name it i've tried it, except the 1 thing that is the cure............ If it comes to ESP or ECU then it's as good as scrap basically, that's a 2k gbp bill just to try!!! Any ideas anyone, please?? Thank you.
Oh, i must add that my vehicle is 2011 Grand Cmax Titanium 1.6 petrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Andrew and Roger, have you checked your smart charge wiring?
The smart charge system decides whether the alternator needs to push out more or fewer volts/amps, and it's very common for the wires to break near the plug on top of the alternator (usually the blue wire!) This would cause the low readings your getting, and could be the cause of your EPS problems as the power draw for this is huge!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Adam, My alternator is only the single cable type and this was the 1st thing the technician tried and was fairly confident it was the problem, but alas no, tho i'm sure it's why the EPS isn't working, i would replace that cable throughout that you mention if i knew where it went, somewhere in the ECU probably as the technician spent a lot of time "behind the wheel" in the ECU. Thanks, at least it gives me a lead what to concentrate on. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts