Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i started my C max the warning (power steering failure came up on the dashboard , and the steering was stiff just like the warning , then turned the ignition off , started again , then the steering was fine , and no warning on the dashboard , the car is 2 years old with 5k miles , is this the start of bad things , or just a glitch , anyone else had the same problem .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. Yes I have had the same problem on my C max, twice! Second time the fault would not clear so called Ford assist / AA. The technician messed with the fuses & wiring lume to the power steering & the fault as gone. It could have been a gremlin but not to sure. If this happens again I will take it to my Ford dealer. My C max is a 2.0 Tdci Titanium Powershift & is 10 months old. Have you had the problem again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK thanks for the info. Fingers crossed its not happened again on my C maxsince the AA technician had a mess around a couple of weeks ago. It could of been a loose connection or dodgy fuse?

Dav.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a similar problem. The power steering failed and the warning light/buzzer came on. After a while it reset itself. This happened a few more times especially in bad weather. Then after a long motorway journey in heavy rainthe power steering permanently failed. I had read about water ingress into the connection plugs on the pump as a possible cause. The pump assembly is only accessibleif you remove the drivers side headlampunit which is pretty easy totake off with only one small screw. With the light out of the way you can gain access to the pump. There are three sets of wire connectionsthat go to the pump. When I took the centre one off there was about 2/3 mm of water in the base of the connection. One of the electrodes was also corroded. I dried out the connection and cleaned off the corroded connector. I sprayed some water repellentonto the terminals and reconnectedthe plug. With fingers crossed I started the car and I had power steering with no annoying noise or light! I now need to work out how to stop further ingress of water!
I dread to think what I could have been charged for this at a garage. Hope this helps someone else!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I've just sent a post on this matter. This does indeed seem to be a common fault. The connector does suffer from water ingress and its installation is a lot to be desired. My power cable was pinched and stretched when on the assembly line.

Has anybody experienced a power steering failure when on the move? Mine only failed after it was stopped and restarted.

This should be a Ford recall as it has safety implications. Once again the safety of the publicis ignored to save money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
Did you loose control of the car when the power steering failed?

This is the reason we sold the car wasbecouse our C-max was used to ferry children around.

You can image what would happen if you had an accident when the power steering failed and then upon inspection no fault was found.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've had power steering go when the alternator went.....oh that was a fun drive!
Everytime I slowed down for a bend the ABS and PAS all deactivated right when you needed it most. Speed up and the voltage picked up and everything came back! :D
It's not impossible to steer without it....it's easier than you think as the car is rolling and so doesn't encounter as much resistance as when you're stationary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts