Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone. Once again we are going into the cold season, and once again problems with the power steering. This is is were the the steering is tight, and hard to turn the steering wheel.
<DIV itxtNodeId="281" itxtHarvested="0">There have been many posts in the past regarding this problem. Members have changed the steering rack, the pump, the wiring harness, the power steering fluid, and nothing has seemed to have solved the problem. Some members have spent hundreds of pounds trying to solve the problem. To my knowledge, no solution has appearedanywhere on the forum.
<DIV itxtNodeId="281" itxtHarvested="0">
<DIV itxtNodeId="281" itxtHarvested="0">I feel my car is now dangerous to drive.
<DIV itxtNodeId="281" itxtHarvested="0">
<DIV itxtNodeId="281" itxtHarvested="0">05 Cmax, 2.0d zetec.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The power steering on you car is electric,so a pump or fluid level is not the problem.Stands a chance your battery needs a good charge (at least 24 hrs).Also have the alternator checked to make sure it`s output is ok.If it`s on the low side then you need to replace it.
MM

·
Registered
849 Posts
It might be electrically driven, but it's still a hydraulic system. The pump and reservoir is under the drivers side headlamp. Remove the screw and depress the two clips and the light will come out, enabling you to see the top of the reservoir. Ensure the fluid is at the correct level and is clean. That's about all you can do on the DIY front. unless you're a reasonably accomplished home mechanic. It could still be an electrical problem, causing the pump to run more slowly than it should. this may manifest itself in the steering alternating between light and heavy. There's a setting in the menu of the on board computer with which you can alter the level of assistance (on my Zetec anyway) It may have something to do with that. Unlikely though. Best to get it checked out professionally as it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you MM and BB, for your replies. Intresting that you think it could be a problem with the battery, as I was going to replace this due to the odd starting problem anyway. I will invest in a heavy duty battery.

Has anybody managed to sort this steering problem in the past. It is quite a common issue looking back through this forum ?
The power steering fluid has been change twice. It did have a very small improvement after. However it by no way solved the issue.

Cheers

Pete.

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you have a multimeter it's worth checking the battery voltages as follows.
1. Static. When the car has been stood for some time it should be around its nominal 12 Volts.
2. Cranking. Have someone turn the engine over on the key while you check the battery volts. It's better if theres some way of preventing the engine from actually starting so it can be cranked for 10 seconds or so. The battery volts shouldn't drop below 9-10 V. Some manufacturers specify 9.6 as the minimum acceptable. If it's below this, the battery is on the way out. Garages used to have a device known as a "Drop tester" to simulate the starting load while the voltage was monitored. It's worth asking about that.
3. Running. With the engine at idle, the voltage across the terminals should be 13.5- 14 V (13.8 is common) This proves that the alternator is working.

I've always thought it a shame that cars don't have voltmeters as part of the instrumentation any more as any misbehaviour of the electrical system could be spotted almost right away. There is one thing, that, as a marine engineer, comes to mind. This only appears to happen when the weather starts to turn cold so it would point, to me, to the fluid becoming more viscous in the colder weather and not flowing so well. It wouldn't be the first time that a motor (or other equipment) manufacturer has failed to take varying regional climates into consideration. It could be worth finding out what viscosity the fluid is meant to be and replacing it with a less viscous alternative. As long as it was a good quality mineral based hydraulic oil, of similar spec to the original, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just joined this forum for exactly the same reason, to try to get to the bottom of our power steering problem when cold in winter like the many other posts.Ford's national customer helpline were more interested in their standards of customer service questionnaire than identifying the problem/solution to this life-threatening fault!We've had the fluid changed, with no improvement.Like everyone else, I just want to get it sorted before the next winter cold front.Our car is a 54 plate 1.6 TDCi Zetec.Any ideas??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Morning. I had this problem for a long period and was getting ready to replace the steering pump when I spoke to the local dealers service manager, wh advised to change steering fluid. I flushed the system out with fresh Ford power steering fluid and it appears to have worked over last winter.
Do not atempt steps below unless you are a competentto do so.
Procedure: 1 clean filler cap and remove from reservoir under drivers headlamp. 2. Remove return pipe from steering pump to reservoir and attach bottle to collect fluid. 3. fill reservoir fully and keep topped up while you have a second person do the next step. 4 start engine and cycle steering fully left and right ( this flushes out trapped fluid). 5 Shut down engine and reconnect return pipe. 6 fill reservoir to correct level.7start engine and cycle steering fully left and right a few times to get any air out of the system. 8checkfor leaks and replenish fluid.It is important to check fluid level again after a few days driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try replacing the power steering pump. Mine did the same. I just put up with it, untillit failed completely. Went to garage and their was metal filing in the fluid all the way through the pipes. The pump was basically breaking up inside. New pump cost £280. Your local supplier should have loads of them in stock. It is very common fault with these useless cars. Same pump is fitted to the saxo. They have the same problem. FORD NEED TO ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM. Apparently the brand new cmax has the same pump.
. You would think they would of changed it. I personally sell your car, as the are utter crap. Mine has broke down 4 times in 4 weeks. All different problems. Injector seals, then another set of injector seals. Fuel leak all over the engine, power steering pump.
. LOL. My wife has just walked in the door, and told me the car has just packed up again.
What a heap of crap. SO far cost me £950 in repairs. Whats this gonna cost me. Watch this space.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I came here to ask about the same problem (I have posted here a few times before but cannot find my old login)
My steering was odd at all times and 2 garages suggested the rack needed changing. That was done over the last few days.
This morning, I'm having the symptoms described here, where it is pretty solid, freeing up every now and then. About 10 miles into my journey it freed up and was fine.
I never had a problem in cold weather before and its a lot worse than before the rack was changed!!

Other than going back to my local garage, is ther any other advice? I get the feeling they will send me to Ford for their diagnostics, athough from reading this forum it sounds like that isn't going to provide a definitive answer

Agree with everyone saying it is dangerous to drive. I steer heavily to turn then quickly find myself having to steer back as power kicked into the steering unexpectedly

·
Registered
197 Posts
There was a known problem with a connector/loom which gave this problem. Mine was changed under warranty several years ago. Your Fraud dealer should have the details.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
2 years down the road I still have the same problems with the power steering on my 04 1.8I have been tempted just to letit go& ignore it but it completely removes any enjoyment of driving it's become a chore
It's been into the local clueless Ford dealer many many times, but I'm over that now honest
The pump has been changed & the connector allegedly so my next idea was to replace the front shocks,springs & upper bearings will it help ? well it can't hurt can it. wellapart from over £200 in parts & a few hours work.Does anyone else with this problem notice if they jack the front up the steering seems to bebetter for some time afterwards? my theory was the front end is sagging so it's the shocks or springs
could be complete nonsense as well, any thoughts??

·
Registered
6 Posts
When the same happened to mine we replaced the pump and the speed sensor, neither of which made any difference, then put a new rack in and its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi again,

Battery changed. I was told by a ford dealer that the battery was fine,and the radio needed changing. Glad I did not take thier advice.

Anyway steering issue,no change sincenew battery fitted.

Ithas got worse recently, I am hoping it fails completely and I will updateto the actual cause.

Cheers for all the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It might be electrically driven, but it's still a hydraulic system. The pump and reservoir is under the drivers side headlamp. Remove the screw and depress the two clips and the light will come out, enabling you to see the top of the reservoir. Ensure the fluid is at the correct level and is clean. That's about all you can do on the DIY front. unless you're a reasonably accomplished home mechanic. It could still be an electrical problem, causing the pump to run more slowly than it should. this may manifest itself in the steering alternating between light and heavy. There's a setting in the menu of the on board computer with which you can alter the level of assistance (on my Zetec anyway) It may have something to do with that. Unlikely though. Best to get it checked out professionally as it's a safety issue.
So far the electric power steering pump has been replaced twice, once with a second hand unit, then a reconditioned unit, no difference at all. Then a brand new steering angle sensor, still no difference. The wiring to the pump has been checked and brand new (correct) fluid in the reconditioned pump, still no diffence!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far the electric power steering pump has been replaced twice, once with a second hand unit, then a reconditioned unit, no difference at all. Then a brand new steering angle sensor, still no difference. The wiring to the pump has been checked and brand new (correct) fluid in the reconditioned pump, still no diffence!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts