Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Wonder if anyone can help us with this. Our 04 C MAX TDCi has been loosing power occasionally over th last few months. It labours OK but when trying to excellerate in 1st & 2nd there is little power and there is grey smoke comming from the exhaust. This can last up to 6 mins before it picks up power, its happening more frequently now.

Any help would be appriciated here?
Thanks
cemunro77

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too am having this problem!! Got car back from fords after having new egr valve,air mass reg and repair pipe on turbo ,all of which ford said I had fault codes for.. but on way to work when accelrating up hill at 70mph goes into a bit of creep mode again. Get really fed up as cost £600 to get all work done and now playing up after 1 week!! Any advice very,very welcome...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just had the exact same problem, only the smoke was nearer white in colour.
About 40% Power loss and a lot of smoke. Turned out to be the Turbo. The shaft inside the turbo was bent ! (2005 cmax 2.0 tdci with ONLY 36000 miles - Serviced every 10000 miles from new)
Bought a turbo off eBay £165 delivered and fitted it myself.
Takes about 4 hours to fit.
Take off the Air inlet manifold pipe and see how much oil is in it.
There was also a lot of oil inside the exhaust outlet pipe which is where the smoke was coming from.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
bent shaft and Kn####ered turbo bearings. I don't know which came first but they would go together and explain a lot of oil

A good reason to keep oil changes up to date given the thermal stress the oil to the bearings gets.

I have heard of a large marine diesel running on just the lubricating oil from the turbo even when they cracked the fuel line shut. Needless to say a very expensive mess to sort out afterwards

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi richard,going back to the point you said about the positive sensor/variable resistoe on the throttle pedal I was wondering if you had a idea of the cost and is it something I can do myself without causing a fault code to come up? Regards, ian.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Ian
I'm afraid not as to cost but probably not cheep. It may well be a Bosch part that you could get from tham rather than Ford
You may be able to do the manual replacing it syourself but I suspect that it may have to be calibrated / mapped to the fuel pump in the car and that may require the computer systems to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts