Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. The MW reception on my 54 plate Ghia is always weak, and often annoyingly bad. It seems to be an insulation problem somewhere, as switching on the lights or wipers causes a crackle over the speakers. FM isn't affected.

I've never removed the radio from the fascia - is it a simple job and are there connectors worth checking behind it?

Probably coincidentally, the aerial is also impossible to unscrew (having snapped off the identical bit on a mondeo & been charged £30 for a new one I'm loathe to use a great deal of force...) so I cant check that for corrosion. Any good ideas how to release it?

cheers

Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
The reception on my 54 plate C-Max is also poor.
Medium Wave is unlistenable. FM is disappointing too - can't even receive the local BBC county radio station from 20 miles away.
Can't say I'm that impressed with the sound quality of the CD player either.

Has anyone replaced the factory fitted unit with an aftermarket unit? I'm considering replacing it with a single din cd/radio/mp3/bluetooth unit. I realise I'll need a facia adapter & wiring/aerial adapters but am concerned a replacement unit will spoil the look of the dashboard and look a bit out of place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 04 TDCi radio was awful on MW. Ford dealer suggested a new aerial (at £120 fitted!) I bought a double din touch screen radio/TV/sat nav etc unit off eBay and fitted that - works great on MW now. A word of warning - the unit I bought was quite deep and doesn't fit flush with the dash - looks a bit poor at the minute - get one that is the same depth as the original unit.

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have a list of things to check on the radio before I get it looked at by a garage? My 6000cd also has poor reception and fails to search for stations most of the time.

MW reception is non existant most of the time.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
winniewinser said:
Hi,

Does anyone have a list of things to check on the radio before I get it looked at by a garage? My 6000cd also has poor reception and fails to search for stations most of the time.

MW reception is non existant most of the time.

Cheers

Alex
Would buying a new head unit be a possible solution or is it more likely to be an aerial issue? The previous Fords we owned had very good reception in our area although we are in a weak signal area.

Alex

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 04 2.0 TDCI Ghia also has very poor radio reception, it sounds like an aerial problem. Are there any checks I can do and how do I remove the radio unit to get at the aerial cable.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Take the ariel off and clean the screw contact, I applied a bit of copper grease to keep it free.
Then as Gepard says, behind the front interior light is a earth bolt that also does the remote central locking, again clean and put back.
If that fails, then you'll need 4 radio keys to remove the head unit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be careful getting the arial off - I've broken 2 in the last couple of years and they are not cheap! They're very prone to rusting into place and of course it's hard not to apply toomuch torque to the arial itself. Copper grease definitely a good idea!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can unscrew the aerial OK and have cleaned with some WD40.....no difference though. Being DIY challenged I am unsure as to if I can get the interior light off....I will probably end up breaking something ;0).

I have ordered the removal tools from Ebay so when they arrive I will remove the head unit and check the connections.

I have been looking at headunits on Ebay too...£30-40. Then if that doesn't help it must be the aerial and I can resell the unit on Ebay again.

Using the radio at the weekend and we picked up Absolut Radio and it held the signal OK but then getting back into the car after it being parked and it couldn't find the same station???.

With the aerial, how bendy of the bottom bit? Mine feels like the fat bit at the bottom has a joint in it or is it broken??

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you know the frequency try doing manual tuning.

The headunit itself is 40 quid but you need a fitting pack to get it connected to the car which is usually close to 30 quid.

You can remove the light by inserting something very thin between the light cover and the surround. There are two little fixings on it....if you wiggle it on the front edge and the back edge it'll come loose. Then you just need to level the light housing out of theround piece of plastic that attaches to the roof liner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have tried the manual tuning and that does work sometimes but we often lose the reception as we drive along.

Fitting pack? I was under the impression that as we already have the same unit it would as simple as disconnecting one and then connecting the other? Is that not the case?

Final alternative is to buy an after market stereo and get it fitted by a professional. Ideally I don't want to spend much as money is tight coming in to xmas. OR just buy loads of CD's and listen to them

Thanks for your help.

Alex

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ah, my apologies, I thought you were looking at replacing it with an aftermarket one. Changing it for the same model won't offer any improvement what so ever. The Ford headunits don't differ greatly so I'd be looking at one of the Sony options if you're looking to change/upgrade.

I'd be happy to fit one for you free of charge if you're anywhere near Birmingham. Doesn't take long and a doddle to do once you've done one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I am in the South East so a bit of a trek.

I will consider my options now based on your helpful information, much appreciated.

Cheers

Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is probablt too late for most of you but this worked for me as my Focus aerial was not properly earthed and gave most of the symptoms described in this forum Remove the interior light to access the base of the roof aerial. Unscrew the aerial (torx driver) and remove the locktite (blue gunge) on the threads. Screw the aerial back making sure that the spikey bits on the base that the aerial lead is attached to cut through the paint to create a good earth. You can rub the paint away with emery cloth but be sure to put some waxoyl or similar on the bare patch as you dont want rust. Hopefully your woes are over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts