Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Still getting used to my new C-MAX, and enjoying it immensely. However,I have noticed that the car is 'over revving' e.g. from changing from 4th to 5th then giving it quite a bit of gas, the car tends to rapidly rev to 3,000 RPM before settling back down to what it should be. It's almost as though it's taking a second to find the gear when I shift upwards...

This might sound like a daft question, but is it something to be concerned about, or is it me not giving myself the chance to get used to drivinga turbo diesel (having come from a 1.25litre petrol fiesta).

It is still under the car dealership's supplied warranty, so please let me know if it needs to go back!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys...

No, I am making sure that my foot is well away from the clutch!

The problem seems to be most noticable from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, and 4th to 5th, particularly 4th to 5th though. Been doing my research, and I've not found any conclusive answers to this. I hope it's something as straightforward as transmission fluid replacement.. or maybe something more sinister as a ECU problem.!?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a problem I had on my first CMAX. Which was a second hand car. it was the clutch release bearing. this was the third time it had happened within 12,000 miles. when going back throught the cars history it seems the car had a dented sump, how i never found out,not seen due to the sump guard. the vauxhall garage in wolverhampton forgot to mention this!!
while talking to a ford engineer later he told me that the clutch release bearing was proberly taking the strain of the engine now being slightly mis-a-lined. so beware KA04UWU, A 1.6 TDCI.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Having thought about this a little more since

It's not a simple as transmission fluid replacement

Given that the clutch and the gearbox is fully bolted to the engine via the "bell housing" they should all move together if "thumped to any degree

Even then any misalignment would only happen when the clutch was effectively fully engaged and there would be the smell of the clutch getting VERY hot

Are you sure you haven't got any smell of the clutch getting hot

Given that it is diesel I am wondering about the EDC (Electronic Diesel Control) that replaces the mechanical govenor for the fuel pump but again this is limited by the amount of clutch slip

There is a closed loop control system that involved the accelerator position sensor the injector pump speed sensor and the injector pump "fuel rack" position sensor

On depressing the accelertor the voltage on the sensor changes which causes the ECU to change the position of the fuel "rack" and thus to measure the voltage at the fuel pumpspeedsensor (engine speed as it is driven directly from the cam shaft) based on the stored values in the ECU for that speed and air flow measured from the air flow mwter and input air temperature sensor

It might be well worth having it checked

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Certed and Richard.

I think with all said and done, I will take it back asap to have it checked. My wife and I both drive the vehicle, and we have both noticed this fault since purchase.Having given it some time to ensure it was not how we were both driving it (being a new car to us etc), it definitely is a clear problem.Your responses have helped greatly in gaining an idea on what might be the cause.

I will let you know how I get on once I get it back to the dealership.

All the best.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excuse the further post so early on Christmas Day but this issue is playing on my mind!

Just found this link..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1159131

and the OP's fault sounds similarish to the one I am experiencing.

So my questions now are..

Is it simply turbo lag?
Dodgy EGR valve?
Clutch release bearing as suggested by certed?
EDC as suggested by Richard?
'Flat spot hesitation', therefore software update?

Oh well, ideas to suggest when the car goes back to the dealer.

EDIT

Just spotted these posts on other forums which describe the same symptoms. I am reckoning a new EGR valve is in order...

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=36284&p=323844&hilit=EGR+valve#p323844(last post)

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36699&hilit=over+revving
Edited by: mrobbo

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Turbo lag and flat spot hesitation would tend to give no (or Significantly delayed)increase in revs when you pushed the accelerator rather than over rev as you describe it

A sticking EGR valve would also tend to prevent acceleration as it would dilute the air / fuel mix with exhaust so I don't think that is the main problem YET

When it does over rev" doess it feel as though the engine is driving the wheels or does it feel as though the clutch is slipping. As you don't mention it I presume you are not getting a very hot clutch smell

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Richard. The feeling I get is one of the gear not being engaged, anda brief feeling of loss of control over the vehicle. As you suspected, I don't get a hot clutch smell. Hope this helps?!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Given that it is a diesel and there isn't a throttle on which you can have an idle switch there is I believe a switch that performs the same function on the clutch which senses when it is pushed in and tells the engine to go to idle (fueling) for that brief moment which may be giving problems

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, thanks Richard. Another suggestion for when I take it in to the dealership. I'm off on a long run today so let's see how it behaves today...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I now know what was wrong with the car. It packed in on the M1 this morning, and I've just been towed home- the clutch has packed up.

I'm annoyed to be honest, as only having had the car two weeks, it was put through a service and an independent RAC check. The RAC fellow who towed it said that with the clutch being concealed, it probably would not have been part of any check.

The car is still under warranty, but reading the T&Cs, it states that clutch wear and tear is not covered! Obviously I will argue against this, as, ok, it might have packed in due towear and tear, but not mywear and tear. I've only driven it for 500 miles!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Given the very short period that you've had it then I think you ought to be able to get the dealer to repair the clutch under the Sale of Goods Act (especially Sections 48A(1)(b) & 48A(3)and it not being fit for purpose at the point of sale

The following is from the sale of Goods Act. I would start with a chat with your local trading standards as soon as they are next open just to see where you stand and if they can add any weight to your case
(apologies to everyone else for such a long pos)

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Implied terms about quality or fitness.[/B]<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
<DIV style="mso-element: ; mso-element--width: 70.9pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: page; mso-element-left: 48.1pt; mso-element-top: .05pt; mso-height-rule: exactly">
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=94 align=left ="0" ="0">

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; : transparent" vAlign=top align=left>
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Contracts to which Act applies.[/B]
14(1) Except as provided by this section and section 15 below and subject to any other enactment, there is no implied term about the quality or fitness for any particular purpose of goods supplied under a contract of sale.

(2) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality[/B].

(2A) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory[/B], taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b) appearance and finish,
(c) freedom from minor defects,
(d) safety, and
(e) durability.

(2C) The term implied by subsection (2) above does not extend to any matter making the quality of goods unsatisfactory—
(a) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">which is specifically drawn to the buyer[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">'[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">s attention before the contract is made[/B],
(b) where the buyer examines the goods before the contract is made, which that examination ought to reveal, or
(c) in the case of a contract for sale by sample, which would have been apparent on a reasonable examination of the sample.

(2D) If the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, if a contract of sale is a consumer contract, the relevant circumstances mentioned in subsection (2A) above include any public statements on the specific characteristics of the goods made about them by the seller, the producer or his representative, particularly in advertising or on labelling.

(2E) A public statement is not by virtue of subsection (2D) above a relevant circumstance for the purposes of subsection (2A) above in the case of a contract of sale, if the seller shows that—
(a) at the time the contract was made, he was not, and could not reasonably have been, aware of the statement,
(b) before the contract was made, the statement had been withdrawn in public or, to the extent that it contained anything which was incorrect or misleading, it had been corrected in public, or
(c) the decision to buy the goods could not have been influenced by the statement.

(2F) Subsections (2D) and (2E) above do not prevent any public statement from being a relevant circumstance for the purposes of subsection (2A) above (whether or not the buyer deals as consumer or, in Scotland, whether or not the contract of sale is a consumer contract) if the statement would have been such a circumstance apart from those subsections.

(3) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business and the buyer, expressly or by implication, makes known[/B]—
(a) to the seller, or
(b) where the purchase price or part of it is payable by instalments and the goods were previously sold by a credit-broker to the seller, to that credit-broker,

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">any particular purpose[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> for which the goods are being bought, there is an implied [/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">term[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> [/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">that the goods supplied under the contract are reasonably fit for that purpose[/B], whether or not that is a purpose for which such goods are commonly supplied, except where the circumstances show that the buyer does not rely, or that it is unreasonable for him to rely, on the skill or judgment of the seller or credit-broker.

(4) An implied term about quality or fitness for a particular purpose may be annexed to a contract of sale by usage.

(5) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">The preceding provisions of this section apply to a sale by a person who in the course of a business is acting as agent for another as they apply to a sale by a principal in the course of a business[/B], except where that other is not selling in the course of a business and either the buyer knows that fact or reasonable steps are taken to bring it to the notice of the buyer before the contract is made.

(6) As regards <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on">Wales</st1:country-region> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Northern Ireland</st1:country-region></st1:place>, the terms implied by subsections (2) and (3) above are conditions.

(7) Paragraph 5 of Schedule 1 below applies in relation to a contract made on or after 18 May 1973 and before the appointed day, and paragraph 6 in relation to one made before 18 May 1973.
<A name=#comref-1108910></A>
(8) In subsection (7) above and paragraph 5 of Schedule 1 below references to the appointed day are to the day appointed for the purposes of those provisions by an order of the Secretary of State made by statutory instrument.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">PART 5A[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">ADDITIONAL RIGHTS OF BUYER IN CONSUMER CASES[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
<DIV style="mso-element: ; mso-element--width: 70.9pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: page; mso-element-left: 47.1pt; mso-element-top: .05pt; mso-height-rule: exactly">

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0cm; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0cm; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; : transparent" vAlign=top align=left>
<A name=#comref-1108937></A><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Introductory[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
48A(1) This section applies if—
(a) the buyer deals as consumer or, in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Scotland</st1:country-region></st1:place>, there is a consumer contract in which the buyer is a consumer, and
(b) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">the goods do not conform to the contract of sale at the time of delivery[/B].

(2) If this section applies, the buyer has the right—
(a) under and in accordance with section 48B below, <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">to require the seller to repair or replace the goods[/B], or
(b) under and in accordance with section 48C below—
(i) to require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
(ii) to rescind the contract with regard to the goods in question.

(3) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date[/B].

(4) Subsection (3) above does not apply if—
(a) it is established that the goods did so conform at that date;
(b) its application is incompatible with the nature of the goods or the nature of the lack of conformity.
<A name=#comref-1108938></A>
<DIV style="mso-element: ; mso-element--width: 70.9pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: page; mso-element-left: 47.1pt; mso-element-top: .05pt; mso-height-rule: exactly">

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Repair or replacement of the goods[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
48B(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—
(a) to repair the goods, or
(b) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">to replace the goods.[/B]

(2) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;[/B]
(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

(3) The <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace[/B] the goods if that remedy is—
(a) impossible, or
(b) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">disproportionate in comparison to the other[/B] of those remedies, or
(c) disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.

(4) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">One remedy is disproportionate in comparison to the other if[/B] the one imposes costs on the seller which, in comparison to those imposed on him by the other, are unreasonable, taking into account—
(a) the value which the goods would have if they conformed to the contract of sale,
(b) the significance of the lack of conformity, and
(c) <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">whether the other remedy could be effected without significant inconvenience to the buye[/B]r.

(5) Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to—
(a) the nature of the goods, and
(b) the purpose for which the goods were acquired.
<A name=#comref-1108939></A>

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Reduction of purchase price or rescission of contract[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
48C(1) If section 48A above applies, the buyer may—
(a) require the seller to reduce the purchase price of the goods in question to the buyer by an appropriate amount, or
(b) rescind the contract with regard to those goods,

if the condition in subsection (2) below is satisfied.

(2) The condition is that—
(a) by virtue of section 48B(3) above the buyer may require neither repair nor replacement of the goods; or
(b) the buyer has required the seller to repair or replace the goods, but the seller is in breach of the requirement of section 48B(2)(a) above to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the buyer.

(3) For the purposes of this Part, if the buyer rescinds the contract, any reimbursement to the buyer may be reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

<A name=#comref-1108940></A><B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Relation to other remedies etc[/B].
48D- (1) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods the buyer must not act under subsection (2) until he has given the seller a reasonable time in which to repair or replace (as the case may be) the goods.

(2) The buyer acts under this subsection if—
(a) in <st1:country-region w:st="on">England</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on">Wales</st1:country-region> or <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Northern Ireland</st1:country-region></st1:place> he rejects the goods and terminates the contract for breach of condition;
(b) in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Scotland</st1:country-region></st1:place> he rejects any goods delivered under the contract and treats it as repudiated;
(c) he requires the goods to be replaced or repaired (as the case may be).
<A name=#comref-1108941></A>

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Powers of the court[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
48E(1) In any proceedings in which a remedy is sought by virtue of this Part the court, in addition to any other power it has, may act under this section.

(2) On the application of the buyer the court may make an order requiring specific performance or, in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Scotland</st1:country-region></st1:place>, specific implement by the seller of any obligation imposed on him by virtue of section 48B above.

(3) Subsection (4) applies if—
(a) the buyer requires the seller to give effect to a remedy under section 48B or 48C above or has claims to rescind under section 48C, but
(b) the court decides that another remedy under section 48B or 48C is appropriate.

(4) The court may proceed—
(a) as if the buyer had required the seller to give effect to the other remedy, or if the other remedy is rescission under section 48C
(b) as if the buyer had claimed to rescind the contract under that section.

(5) If the buyer has claimed to rescind the contract the court may order that any reimbursement to the buyer is reduced to take account of the use he has had of the goods since they were delivered to him.

(6) The court may make an order under this section unconditionally or on such terms and conditions as to damages, payment of the price and otherwise as it thinks just.
<A name=#comref-1108942></A>

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Conformity with the contract[/B]<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
48F For the purposes of this Part, goods do not conform to a contract of sale if there is, in relation to the goods, a breach of an express term of the contract or a term implied by section 13, 14 or 15 above.]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Richard. I will make sure I ready this Act three of four times before ringingthe dealershipin the morning, and arm myself with the necessary information.....

If they play hardball then I'm afraid to say, I will be naming and shaming them

·
Registered
50 Posts
I managed to get my cluthch release bearing and other items repaired/replaced during the four months I had my cmax. After spending 1 month out of 4 off the road I took the car back and got a replacement car, which caused no problems. What I'm trying to say is go armed with all your information and don't back down. Everyone should know the sales of good act. Go get them tiger!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I phoned the place where I bought the car from and they said I could bring the car in on Monday for them to look at it. He reminded me that clutches are not covered by the warranty, but they will certainly look at it as they "want to make sure all our customers are looked after".

The snag is they simply won't pick the vehicle up from my home. Obviously I can't drive it there, and the RAC won't come back out to tow it elsewhere. It was so unfortunate that it broke down on Boxing Day. Asthe dealership wasnot open, it had to be towed home. If they were open, the car would have been there now.

I understand that according to the Sales of Goods Act;

If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must— <?: PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>
(a) repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;<O:p></O:p>[/B]
(b) bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

then really they should incur the cost of picking the car up (I am 40 miles away). I argued this with them this morning, but they steadfastly refused the responsibility of collection. Moreover, I need the car asap. My wife is due with our first baby any time now, and I know my local garage will have it fixed by the end of Monday. I simply cannot afford to argue it out with them!!!

Oh well, I think I have bored you enough with this yarn. It's ruined Xmas somewhat, and it's been a terrible start to owning a C-MAX. I am going to bite the bullet, pay up, and let you know when I am back on the road.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
It may be that you have to pay the cost out initially and then get it back afterwards

I would suggest a quick chat with Trading Standards before the garage get their hands on the car and "Possibly" hold it against payment of the bill whilst you argue which they know won't last for long without you paying up

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update!

The saga continues...

I phoned the place where I bought it again a few days ago and spoke to a couple of members of staff, to see if they could help me with the broken clutch. A summary of what they told me :-

1. The clutch was checked both by themselves and when the RAC independent assessment was performed prior to the sale. When I pointed out that the assessment had 'N/a' next to the clutch, he replied, "Well we never actually checked the clutch because it is too difficult to get at. But we took it for a test drive and it was fine".
2. Just like the last time I phoned them, they said that the clutch may have been misused, even though I am a experienced driver, know how to handle a clutch, and had only driven the vehicle for 500 miles.
3. When I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act, he was adamant that it did not even exist, so they did not have to adhere to it! (This made me furious).
4. They said thateven if I got the car to them, they did not have any courtesy cars to offer me.

Talk about throwing every obstacle in my way....

So all in all, even if I paid out for the car to be towed there, there was no guarantees that they would perform the repair, which would have left me having to tow the car back, incurring further costs, not having a car on the road -not good when you have a 9 month pregnant wife.

So, I have had to have it repaired locally - I felt I had no other option. The dual mass flywheel had packed in. A seal had gone, meaning grease got into the clutch which led to it burning out. So, the garage'sopinion is that it was component failure, the parts were not of a satisfactory condition,and the failure was not due to misuse or wear and tear.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to arrange an appointment with the dealership to see if they can at least assist in paying the £800 repair bill. As advised by Consumer Direct, I am taking with me the failed parts, and a letter from the garage stating part failure. Oh, they told me that the Sale of Goods Act does indeed still exist

1 - 20 of 21 Posts