Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have a cMax 2012 1.6 duratoque diesel.
Hope you don’t mind me asking.
We have had a “whirring”noise which initially was intermittent but is now more noticeable.
Recently also reverse gear keeps jumping out of gear. I now find myself holding the gear leaver in reverse whilst manoeuvring with one hand.
We have nearly 83k miles on this car having had it since 3.5k miles
It’s had a new clutch around three years ago which was quite expensive (£600)
The car originated from the Channel Islands as it had a “J” prefix followed by a number when we first looked at it at the dealership in 2014. Wasn’t expecting the clutch to go so soon but as it turned out we may have bought it with the problem already present and not realised.
Unfortunately the dealership where we purchased the car in 2013 has now gone so no scope to return and have it sorted.
I suspect the gear box will need changing and wondered if anyone new if fords of this model and age had any kind of issue that ford dealers already know about.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi
We have a cMax 2012 1.6 duratoque diesel.
Hope you don’t mind me asking.
We have had a “whirring”noise which initially was intermittent but is now more noticeable.
Recently also reverse gear keeps jumping out of gear. I now find myself holding the gear leaver in reverse whilst manoeuvring with one hand.
We have nearly 83k miles on this car having had it since 3.5k miles
It’s had a new clutch around three years ago which was quite expensive (£600)
The car originated from the Channel Islands as it had a “J” prefix followed by a number when we first looked at it at the dealership in 2014. Wasn’t expecting the clutch to go so soon but as it turned out we may have bought it with the problem already present and not realised.
Unfortunately the dealership where we purchased the car in 2013 has now gone so no scope to return and have it sorted.
I suspect the gear box will need changing and wondered if anyone new if fords of this model and age had any kind of issue that ford dealers already know about.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Car is a 2012 Cmax model

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Given that you have had the car for 5+ years and have put 80K on it then you would not have a leg to stand on even if the dealer was still around.
As far as I am aware, these gearboxes do not suffer although there was an issue with the earlier Mk3's clutches not releasing properly. I think it was something to do with contaminated fluid in the Spanish factory??
Dont forget those channel island cars normally start life as a rental so it could have been driven by lots of people although they normally only spend about 6 months doing that.
Your easiest solution is to get a second hand gearbox. There are loads of them around (check eBay). Budget for another new clutch and DMF (if youre taking it apart, its stupid not to do it).
Car will probably give you some more years good use then.
The whiring noise is most likely the power steering rack. I have a Galaxy which does the same. If it is then the front subframe probably has to come off for the gearbox so the rack could be changed at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts