Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CMAX Zetec 1.6 tcdi 2004 model.
Do these tend to have a common oil leak problem?
If you remove the huge cover residing underneath the engine/sump area then you will find wet patches.
Of course when driving the airflow would spread any leak to the rear?
I am not sure where it is coming from yet until I have jacked the car up.
But if you look down on the engine from above there is a thick pipe that I think goes to the turbo. Correct me if I am wrong. The piple bends to the left and around into a unit on the top of the engine. Anyway if you follow this big pipe down towards the bottom of then engine (a huge jubilee clip on the bottom) the bottom of the pipe is wet oil. Now I can't see there being an oil leak on the bottom of the sump working its way up to this pipe. Can you?
The rest of the pipe is fine. Until 2/3s down the bottom of the pipe and then the under the engine its wet oil. ie if you run your fingers along it its black and grimey. So I am concerned now. Any advice please

Edited by: Smileysmile

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I've also got a 54 1.6TDCi and done an oil change myself and not found the wet patches on the cover you mention and not yet have we seemed to lose any oil in around 20K miles

Are you sure it is engine oil and not perhaps a slight diesel leak mixed with dirt to make it appear thicker

Have you tried wiping whatever the liquid is off any part of the pipe and does it then return (in what quantity and over what period?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm good question. Will have to get it cleaned up first to see. Would it be a good idea get the engine steam cleaned first? Then will be able to see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
It probably depends on how much new whatever is leaking
If the leak is big then it probably wouldn't help. If the leak is small then it may well help.

Just a second thought. If this is an oil leak do you keep having to top the oil levels up and by what sort of quantity

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I've just found the following on the TIS disc which might be a good start
Engine - Oil Leaks
Note:
Before installing new gaskets or oil seals, make sure that the fault is clearly established.
If the oil leak cannot be identified clearly by a visual inspection, carry out an ultraviolet (UV) test:

Ultraviolet (UV) Testing
1.Clean the engine and transmission with a suitable cleaning fluid.
2.Pour the UV-test fluid in accordance with the quantity specified by the manufacturer through the oil filler neck into the engine and install the oil filler cap.
WARNING:
Vehicles with manual transaxle, shift the transaxle into Neutral. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
3.Start the engine and let it run for about five minutes.
4.Switch off the engine.
Note:
If no leak can be found, road test the vehicle under various loads and check the engine for leaks again.
5.Check the engine for oil leaks using a suitable UV lamp.
6.Rectify any leaks found and check the engine for oil leaks.

I don't however know anything about the detection fluid or where you might get it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for input.
I haven't checked the oil. In December Ford garage serviced the car and told me there was a small seep of oil coming from the sump area. They just put it in there notes. So it is May and I have had a look underneath so I am concerned so in the next couple of weeks I will get underneath. I will try and solve it and hope its not a bad problem. Geezus the car isnt that old :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi can anyone shed some light on my problem?
i have been told that my engine has seized ford has looked at the car annd said its either a oil leak just under the engine sump, or its being retracted and burnt out the exhaust. has anyone else had this problem of similar? my car is an 07 plate and only done 42.000 miles has been serviced regular too.
Any advise will help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could it be oil thats ran down the engine and surrounding pipes followingan oil filter change.I stuff a piece of ragunder the filter when I remove it. Without the rag you can't help but spill oil down the engine;I don't think some mechanics will bother and just put the plastic sump cover back onto catch the mess. Despiteits other faults mine doesn't appear to leak or burn anylube oil.Just changed from semi-synthetic to a full synthetic to try and reduce risk of turbo failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts