Ford C-Max Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
When i used to mess around with cars in my younger days if the oil breather to the afm was pumping too much back into the system there were two routes to take.

1) blank the hole in the air intake pipe, then fit a small filter (k&n sell them) that fits into the breather pipe, this was the cheapest option. This allowed the breather to "breathe" but it breathes to atmosphere. The problem with this is the oil vapour is free to spray all over the bay.

2) if you wanted your bay to stay clean, blank the pipe as above, then fit an oil catch tank onto the breather pipe, pref one with a level on so you can see when its full. This, suprisingly enough, catches any oil and has a vent to allow excess pressure to escape to atmosphere. Tanks generally cost around £60-100, but this totaly stops oil being recirculated into the air intake, saving time and money on cleaning the afm all the time.

Just thought id add this incase anyone was getting sick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil Catch Can

MarkDon

I own a Mazda 3 1.6 Turbo Diesel. I believe the 1.6 Turbo Diesel engine is the same as that fitted to the Ford Focus. The problem with the Air Sensor ( MAF) getting covered in oil as been mentioned on many forums.

I decided to fit an Oil Catch.

My write is here with photographs. Unfortunately you have to register to see the photographs.

" http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=9546.0 "

Login

Hope someone finds this useful.

Just one point if someone could help.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to and remove the bottom Turbo Oil Banjo connection. I believe it is fitted very close to the oil cooler.

What parts need to be removed to get to the Bottom Turbo Oil Banjo Connection.

Thank you in advice for any information/advice you can offer.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
After finding the air filter was contaminated with oil I replaced it. At the same time I degreased and cleaned the rubber hoses joining the air filter to the turbo and the crank case breather which were dirty with oil. I also cleaned the maf sensor with contact cleaner and now everything is spotless.

It appears the oil is coming down from the crank case breather but how is it then flowing against the airflow and contaminating the maf sensor and the air filter? Is there an underlying problem that causes this or is it just a characteristic of the 1.6 tdci engine?

Should I be checking and cleaning the above parts on a say a 3 monthly basis or do I need to be doing something else? It's a 04 Ghia on 124k by the way.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think it's partly the Positive Crankcase ventilation that is the cause to suck oil fumes back in & burn then
Not certain why they are going against the flow unless some of it is after engine switched off

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think it's to do with the turbo on the boost dump as it doesn't have a dump valve! When you create boost pressure then let off the throttle you get a slight back pressure in the intake!
There is a modified hose and PCM update to cure this issue!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think it's to do with the turbo on the boost dump as it doesn't have a dump valve! When you create boost pressure then let off the throttle you get a slight back pressure in the intake!
There is a modified hose and PCM update to cure this issue!
thanks for info about the modified hose

·
Registered
3 Posts
many thanks for your responses. When funds permit I might look at the modified hose and a PCM update but I am slightly reluctant to hand over £200 for Fraud to correct a design fault. I need to get the timing belt changed first.

Does the problem possibly lie with the oil separator? Should this separate liquid oil from oil vapour? Does the oil separator become filled with sludge over time and if so would it benefit from a removal and clean? I can't believe how oily these engines are!

I have read on other posts that you should not fill the engine oil to the maximum on the dipstick as this this leads to more oil making its way out of the crank case breather into rubber hoses. Is this right and would it help?

Thanks in advance for advice you can offer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
smoke during acceleration

hi jim Could you mail me the details of the mod/upgrade as I reckon my 1.6 TDCi is drawing far too much oil through the breather pipe. For the first 18 months negligible oil consumption, now it is noticeable as is the smoke when accelerating hard thanks in advance

·
Registered
908 Posts
This post is from August 2010 so Jim wont be replying.
Smoke when you accelerate hard could be from a split intercooler pipe. Next time you drive past a wall open the window and accelerate hard. If you hear a whistle then it's a split pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Have an issue with oil fouling MAF sensor and Turbo input. Last year main dealer overfilled my oil. I didn't spot it for several months.Since then I have been down on power (I have 1.6 tdi 13 plate). Sorry to dig out this old thread but I wondered if you could send me the update info. I am new to this forum so I am not sure how I send you my email details without making it known to everyone.
If you can help me out it would be great!

hi jim frost
there is a dealer update for this issue if you pm me your email i will send you a copy and anyone else needing it can have one too!
it involves a pcm update and a new turbo inlet hose it tells you how to clean the sensor and how to check if you already have the modified hose!!
cheers
matt

21 - 31 of 31 Posts