Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1.6 TDCi focus c-max and have recently had issues with power fluctuations and the engine feeling lifeless.

To rectify these problems I have had the vacuum pipe that's attached to the acutuator that controls the variable vains in the turbo replaced.

Also, there was a considerable amount of oil in the air pipe that comes from the air filter which covered the MAF sensor. I cleaned the pipe with brake cleaning spray and the MAF sensor with IPA spray.

Is it normal that oil enters the air inlet pipe via the rocker cover breather pipe? If not how can it be stopped?

Thanks
Brendan

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi jim_frost_2000,
I have had similar problem as you with oil build-up in Air Duct Pipe and it contaminated the MAF sensor, the symptoms were the same as you described.
You mentioned that you cleaned the MAF sensor with IPA Spray -
Did you just saturated the sensor and let it evaporate or wipe it as well.
Where did you get the IPA Spray from?

·
Registered
561 Posts
hi jim frost
there is a dealer update for this issue if you pm me your email i will send you a copy and anyone else needing it can have one too!
it involves a pcm update and a new turbo inlet hose it tells you how to clean the sensor and how to check if you already have the modified hose!!
cheers
matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

I am having the same problems with my C Max. Car is jumping and coughing all over the place normally around the 1800-2000rpm stage.

Can you please email me the update as i'm sure thi smust be some king of Airflow problem on one of the pipes.

[email protected]

Thanks

(04) 2.0 TDCI (48k)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure about the cmax but most cars have a oil breather pipe from the topcover of the engine. As the oil warms some vapour is released and enters the air inlet but there shouldn't be an excessive amount.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jim_frost,
Did your recent fix cure your powerloss problem??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Matt

Could you mail me the details of the mod/upgrade as I reckon my 1.6 TDCi is drawing far too much oil through the breather pipe. For the first 18 months negligible oil consumption, now it is noticeable as is the smoke when accelerating hard.

Best Regards

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a '05 1.6TDCi Focus Zetec (110bhp)Estate that I think has the same engine as the CMAX. It seems to have a fair amount (more than I'd expect to see) of oil in the breather pipe. Could someone send me whatever info they have on this update/upgrade/mod(some pictures would probably help).

Thanks

Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi jim frost
there is a dealer update for this issue if you pm me your email i will send you a copy and anyone else needing it can have one too!
it involves a pcm update and a new turbo inlet hose it tells you how to clean the sensor and how to check if you already have the modified hose!!
cheers
matt
Hi.

Sorry to open up a dead thread, but does anyone have the information quoted here.

Ford have refused to give me this information unless I take my car in to them to do the work for this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi jim frost
cheers
matt
HI, chrisaz666 I have trobble with OIL in pipes can I have any info you have please BUG [email protected].

·
Registered
561 Posts
here is the info for oil contamination of maf sensor pics are in order

WDS/IDS - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Reprogramming
• NOTE: Use WDS CD B45 / IDS 46 DVD or a later version.
1. Connect the WDS/IDS portable diagnostic unit to the vehicle and establish communication (VID the vehicle).
  • Confirm the vehicle details are correct.
2. Check for any stored Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) related to this concern.
  • If DTCs P1101, P1103 or P2279 are stored in the PCM, go to next step.
  • If no or other DTCs are stored, check the correct PCM calibration (see table below) and check for other reasons relating to the customer concern.
3. Reprogram the PCM using WDS/IDS.
  • Select the correct calbration from the following table.
Calibration overview for 1.6L Duratorq-TDCI (DV) Diesel
TransaxleEmission levelOld calibrationNew calibration for PCM Reprogramming5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 33M51-12A650-MH*3M51-12A650-MJ5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 34M51-12A650-NF*4M51-12A650-NGAutomatic Transaxle (CFT23)Stage 34M51-12A650-PD*4M51-12A650-PE5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 44M51-12A650-KG *4M51-12A650-KHAutomatic Transaxle (CFT23)Stage 35M51-12A650-TB*5M51-12A650-TC/TD5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 45M51-12A650-UA 5M51-12A650-UB5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 35M51-12A650-LB*5M51-12A650-LC Automatic Transaxle (CFT23)Stage 46M51-12A650-CC6M51-12A650-CGAutomatic Transaxle (CFT23)Stage 37M51-12A650-TB*7M51-12A650-TD5-Speed Manual TransaxleStage 47M51-12A650-UA7M51-12A650-UC
*and older version
4. Disconnect WDS/IDS from the vehicle.

Check the oil level of the engine
1. NOTE: If the engine has been overfilled this can lead to oil overflow into the air cleaner outlet hose.
Check the oil level and adjust as required.

SEE PIC 1
1. Remove the engine upper cover.
2. Remove the air cleaner outlet hose.

SEE PIC 2
3. Check the design of the air cleaner outlet hose and compare with the illustration that shows physical changes between the <MF> and <MG> levels.
  • Detach the air cleaner outlet hose clamps.
  • Detach the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose quick release coupling.
1. Old level with Part Number: 3M51-9A673-MF
2. New level with Part Number: 3M51-9A673-MG
• If the latest air cleaner outlet hose (3M51-9A673-MG or later) is installed, do NOT install a new one unless you can clearly observe a leak from the joints from the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose or the air cleaner outlet hoses. Go to <Check the air cleaner housing and the air cleaner outlet hose>.
• If an older level is installed, install a new air cleaner outlet hose (see Parts Required).
• Go to next step.

SEE PIC 3
1. NOTE: Oil overflow from the engine will be increased if there is a large negative pressure in the air cleaner outlet hose due to a blockage anywhere from the air cleaner housing to the turbocharger inlet.
Detach the air cleaner quick release from the air cleaner and remove the air cleaner.
  • Check for any blockages in the air filter housing or the air cleaner outlet hose. Remove if reqiured.
  • Make sure that the inside of the air cleaner outlet hose and the PCV hose are clean and free from any oil residue. Clean the air filter housing and the air cleaner outlet hose with brake cleaner.
  • Fully dry the components with compressed air.
  • Go to next step.
SEE PIC 4
1. Remove the MAF sensor.

SEE PIC 5
CAUTION: Never use any kind of mechanical cleaning equipment like tissues, brushes etc. This leads to damage of the MAF sensor element.
• NOTE: Use brake cleaner only.
Thoroughly clean the MAF sensor with brake cleaner.
    CAUTION: Compressed air system must have oil and water separator. The air needs to be directed towards the front of the sensor - the mesh side. Hold a distance of at least 40 cm to the MAF sensor. Closer use may lead to damage of the sensor element.
  • Fully dry the MAF sensor with compressed air.
3. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi crash19999, I have a Ford focus C-Max 2.0ltr diesel, which is using a lot of fuel (approx 28mpg) and loses power at about 28000 rpm. I have looked in the air inlet and there does seem to be an excess of oil.

This issue has been doing my head in for ages now and has cost money in failed fixes. Thanks for your post, I think I'm now on the right track, I'll let you know how I get on.

Gratefully yours Seamus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi crash19999, my 2003 2.0 tdci has been with Ford today and they have failed to diagnose a problem. I gave them a printout of this thread, but they didn't seem very interested and actually said that the pipe in question is not fitted to my car! Can you confirm that this is an issue with the 2.0ltr as well as the 1.6ltr? I have a horrible feeling that they are not listening to me!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The issue with the pipe is not associated with the 2.0 litre! What are the problems you are experiencing? I may be able to help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Poor fuel consumption, loss of power at approx 29000 rpm momentarily then it picks up again and I stall quite often which is quite embarrassing as I drive for a living. There does seem to be an excessive amount of oil in the air intake!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Try cleaning out the maf sensor and I will have a look at work today for anything that matches your description!

They are supposed to have oil in the intake and it looks alot but it isn't really

1 - 20 of 31 Posts