Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now here`s an interesting subject.As we all know,none of us can get anywhere near the official mpg that fraud suggest.Reason being the tests are done in labratories on rolling roads.There`s no hills,traffic,wind,cyclists,pedestrians,trucks nothing.I`ve just read a very interesting article in the Feb edition of Top Gear on page 50.Basically if the book says you get 50.4 in realtity you`ll get 40 maybe 42.Ok on a run on a motorway with no other traffic,no hill & perfect weather you might get close to the 50.4,maybe even better.But for combined,no chance.Even the gormless govenment will admit "mpg on road may differ from test results" (ok I`ve reworded that bit so`s not to be done for copyright),The Co2 readings are wrong too.for 104Co2 read 125Co2.
What hope is there for any of us.Anyway now you all know.
Cheers
MM

·
Registered
50 Posts
I must disagree, i have attained the offical mpg figures for my car, 1.8 turbo diesel style. on a good long run, wigan to glasgow i registered an average of 76 mpg!
i tend to find that it is the drivering style that dicates the mpg. common sense driving style seems to give the best results, brake gradually, change up gear as soon as possible,slightly touch the accel going downhilletc. i usually get an average of 53-59mpg for a full tank or just short of 570/590 miles for a full tank and have had up to 690 miles from a full tank on one occassion. also only use a quality fuel, not supermarket
fuel. i also inflate my tyres 1 psi above the recommended psi of 34 as tyres lose pressure and 2 miles down the road your psimay slowlydrop below 34 thus effecting performance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I struggle to gat an average, combined? of 40mpg. On a run I am lucky to get 45. This is over nearly 2 years and using the cruise control on dual carriageways AND keeping to the legal limits. 2.0 turbo diesel Ghia, OK so it's an '06 model but not much difference mecanically. I don't drive like the proverbial bat outta hell - I keep the Lotus for that!

Other turbo diesels I have driven, Citroens, have given a much closer correlation to 'official' consumption figures. And yet the engine is one developed and shared with PSA; I just don't understand it

·
Registered
122 Posts
we only get 420 to the tank in our 2.0 tdci, we had a citroen c5 2.2 hdi before the cmax and that was a lot better on the fuel always doing 50mpg any where town or motorway driving.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get fairly good 42/46 round town even though it`s only short runs & does not get warm most of the time.On runs 58 is normal.Yesturday went orun 12 miles & got 57 on way out & 49 on way back,although I did come back a different way with more traffic & red lights.Overall I`m well pleased with the mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had Citroen diesels for 17 years and my current 9 year old Xantia still returns 50+ on a run. Just got back from Yorkshire to Kent in the CMax (2.0CDi) and really working my socks off to drive 'sensibly' and keeping on the legal side of 70, I couldn't better 45mpg.
Am really disappointed by this but also confused.
The CMax engine was developed by Ford in conjunction with PSA, of which Citroen is a part.

Dealer tells me everything is as it should be having been checked on their set up.
Don't really know what else to do except go and buy another Citroen but the CMax is great to drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Anyone know what MPG i should be looking at getting from my new ( New to me )56 2.0 petrol zetec, 20,000 miles on it, can you trust the display reading

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for hijacking this thread as I have the older C-Max 2004 2.0TDCi Zetec. My observations have been: (1) To begin with the MPG figures werea pure work of fiction and were really low. This improved as I put more miles on the clock. Don't know if it was the way it was worked out or whether software upgrades improved the MPG function but it certainly got better and I peaked at 60 MPG. (2) After an alternator failure the ECU was re-booted and I am now down to about 47-48MPG. My current driving is mainly short trips and this is probably a fair reflection. On a long motorway haul (I do 1 every month) I am getting nearer 50-55 MPG.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine`s older than yours,but not by much as it`s a 53 plate 2004 & it`s a 2.0 TDCI Zetec,ame as yours

·
Registered
13 Posts
MartinM
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
On my brand new 2.0 Auto I'm getting under 20mpg in town and 38mpg on a 200 mile run when I wasn't in a hurry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts